How to Easily Get from Ship to Station

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Something I never saw mentioned anywhere that is insanely useful to me that I thought bore repeating.

If you are in a docked ship, the Up and Down arrow keys will cycle you through all other ships that are also docked to the same base. It makes you jump directly into their cores.

If, like me, you keep several large ships docked that are not easy to get in and out of due to how high they sit, simply getting into your mining ship can be a time consuming chore. Or at least it was. Now I put a docked core in the center of my docking area named "Ship Selector" and use it to quickly jump from ship to ship, and from ship back to station.

I was going to build this whole elaborate docking system where plex door tubes would detect my ship in it's dock and extend out to the door to give me an easy walkway, even already built a gravity lift to a different floor just to access all my docks easier... I may still do all of that stuff just for looks, but life is so much easier after I learned how to dock jump.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It works to a point. Have known about and used it for some time. Once you exceed a number of cores, not sure of the number, it becomes difficult or impossible to jump to every core, so be aware this happens.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not true, Vendetta - If you get stuck, go back. You've gotten caught in a 2nd/3rd layer chain end.
    I have a ship with 330 turrets crammed onto it - I had to shift into each one and set their AI to target missiles - this was before target data saved to BP.

Reaction score
    I stumbled onto this myself and thought awesome. Then I discovered when you enter a turret it turns the AI off, so if you had to cycle through every turret to get to the docked ship you wanted, now all your turret AI are turned off, which really blows.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Not true, Vendetta - If you get stuck, go back. You've gotten caught in a 2nd/3rd layer chain end.
    I have a ship with 330 turrets crammed onto it - I had to shift into each one and set their AI to target missiles - this was before target data saved to BP.
    Possibly if you are patient and lucky enough. I have gotten unstuck on occasion, but until core shifting consistently works through all cores, I am quite comfortable with my statement.

WCG

Reaction score
    If you are in a docked ship, the Up and Down arrow keys will cycle you through all other ships that are also docked to the same base. It makes you jump directly into their cores.
    Wow, that's great. I'm struggling to get my first ship docked, since I apparently need to be completely underground in order to avoid instant death by pirates. And that's just my mining ship. I figured I'd have to park any other ships on the surface, which would probably mean I wouldn't survive to get to them, if pirates were around. (I discovered the hard way that my home base might be invulnerable, but that doesn't include me!)

This way, I could park one ship underground and easily get to the others. I don't have any turrets - don't even know how they work, yet - so I'll worry about turning off the turret AI (whatever that means) that when the time comes, I guess. :)

Reactions: Edymnion