How to build nice ships ?

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hello There

For many Days, I was trying to figure out,how to build something good loking... but I always end up with trash...

I don't know why, maybe I just need fantasy,but I have plenty of that..

So I wanted to ask you for your tips:
    How to build something good loking ?

PS: I have watched Raiben's school design,but still quite don't know how to do it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some people just have an eye for it... others take a lot of trial and error to learn. I don't have an artistic eye myself so I just had to settle on designs that I could be happy with.

ZektorSK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Some people just have an eye for it... others take a lot of trial and error to learn. I don't have an artistic eye myself so I just had to settle on designs that I could be happy with.
    But u are still better then me tho... I could show you my ships but,I don't have them saved

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    use someone else's ship as an example.
    try to copy some of their details on your own ship, then keep going from there.

also I would suggest experimenting with making wireframes of ships in different shapes, building details on a flat surface to use as reference, and using different materials to experiment with the wonders of TEXTURAL DETAILING

feel free to use some of the ships that I made as an example on a simple interior (might I suggest the CVC-14b) then try to re build it in your own ship. then look at one of raibens ships and try to re build it for your own ship, but try some different styles.

basically if you think someone is better than you, have a look at what they can do and try to do that.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Its hard.... My experience is that to get better, you see a cool ship someone else made or from a movie/game/tv show, try to make something like it, and fail completely. But with every attempt, you learn things, and the next one gets better.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The common thread I have seen in these kinds of topics is practice makes perfect. If you get tired of or bored with making your own designs, feel free to play with other ships from the Community Content just to "get away" from the builder's blues for a while, then dive back in when you are ready. Feel free to download some of the ships I have made. There is something fun about making ugly ships on purpose.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I find it good to start with small builds, especially when trying out a new style. Then you can move onto bigger things with room more more abundant and extravegant detail.

Reactions: nightrune

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Art & design can be studied like any other skill. My graphic-arts and Art classes in school have really helped me, including studying music.

Here is the critical path that I use for a build:

1) Scale: Start with small builds. If you can reduce a Lego-model to 18 pieces you will understand the essential elements. Choose scale based on the smallest element that you want to have in detail. It also helps if you have a 'big-idea' that guides your decisions.

2) Sketch. [Some of my builds grow organically from a central point. Most are wire-framed, then 'blocked-in'.] Crucial to get the proportions right here so do not proceed until your rough frame is a keeper. If you are working from a model compare the real thing or the print of it to your build. Don't just zoom around in build mode. Get in a scooter and look at your creation from many distances and angles. Looking at it upside-down may reveal quirks that are not noticed from a 'normal' perspective. Match the view from your reference material.

3) Fill. This is the phase where the functional elements are woven into the limited volume of the shell. Power-reactors and weapons are usually a good place to start. Pick a control-room to protect your mission-critical systems. Sometime the vital systems can function decoratively too.

4) Decorate and detail. This is where the fun begins. Beauty-builds don't need to win fights so go wild. Don't edit your ideas...try them out. Do some work then 'sleep on it' to get a fresh perspective.

5) Analysis. This is the time to judge and edit. Ask other builders for their input. Don't be sentimental. If you missed something it will usually gnaw at you until you have an epiphany. Try to avoid perfectionism as it often inhibits progress and is not a worthy goal unto itself.

At some point you will know if it is 'working' or not. Builds that went wrong are are not worth fixing (for me anyway). Learn and move on.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I find it good to start with small builds, especially when trying out a new style. Then you can move onto bigger things with room more more abundant and extravegant detail.
    Yeah I have bigger ships planned but I don't want to even start them until I am more comfortable with my own skill as a builder.

Reactions: nightrune

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Practice, a hell of a lot of practice.
    I've been building things I started in minecraft and that's about 4-5 years ago. And well, I'm still not good, at least not good enough.
    But sure you can read up on it all and study it but from what I have done it's always good to just go try what you have in mind and keep re-doing it till you like it.

And it's always a good idea to get inspiration here and there, even stealing some parts from other people is allowed here. Just keep on going and some day you will be able to see just how much you have improved. oh and just pop into the chat and something and ask for help or join a build server, most people are quite nice here and tend to help when they can as you can see in this thread.

Reactions: terra mining corp.

ZektorSK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Thank you all guys !! I just started my Heli - Ship,and after I think 3-4 days it shuld be complete.. Stay tuned,I will send you screens and that ship for download,so you can judge me :)

Reaction score
    I am probably one of the bad people to suggest anything, because i do not make my ships to be good looking, and i only make ships when i need them(or i want to make, but more actual need)

"Just do it" is a good term to apply and also "fail, and fail often", i do find it easier to make better looking small ships(<70m) than larger ones, so perhaps making small ships, apart from being more practical to use on a daily basis, faster to create and cheaper to produce, they might be nice starting points. Trying different ship styles also might be a good idea(almost all my ships look very different)

And of course, something it wasn't said here: "do not try to be the best at the beginning , start slow and perhaps not that consistent"(i surely aren't, because i am many times updating ships because of new game versions and/or upgrading my factory/making new warp gates)

ZektorSK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Hello guys ! I made progress, Ship is currently 80% done,and now I am detailing,and fixing mistakes.The ship should be avaiable tomorrow
    Here are screens:The view goes like this: Right,bottom,top,front,left,back

Write me,what could I improve,or perhaps,where should I place the core :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hello guys ! I made progress, Ship is currently 80% done,and now I am detailing,and fixing mistakes.The ship should be avaiable tomorrow
    Here are screens:The view goes like this: Right,bottom,top,front,left,back

Write me,what could I improve,or perhaps,where should I place the core :)
    Dang man! That's a pretty tight design!

ZektorSK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It looks nice man, really nice!
    I would recommend rebuilding it around the core though, haha!
    Thank you !
    Haha,yeah I will copy the building and paste it,so the core will be safe :)