How to build a good anti-missile defense turrets?

Reaction score
    Well I've been doing some research about anti-missile turrets, and it seems that cannon-cannon weapon system is the best. But, I've also seen some turrets that uses beam-cannon weapon systems instead. Now I think that beam-cannon is a better defense, because it's a hitscan + it has rapid fire so it should be able to effectively shoot down the missiles. Has anyone tested if it's better to use this, rather that cannon-cannon?

And if it's really cannon-cannon that are the most effective, will adding an 'explosive' effect to it affect how the turret shoots down missiles? For example, a swarm of missiles come at your ship, will the explosive cause like an 'AoE' that will destroy multiple missiles in a single shot?

Also, is there a need to make the turret 'big'? They say that missiles only has 1 HP, so would it be just fine if we have one module and fill the rest with shields?

I hope someone can give me some insight as to how Anti-missile turrets work, and how to maximize it's effectiveness. Thanks!

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Now I think that beam-cannon is a better defense, because it's a hitscan + it has rapid fire so it should be able to effectively shoot down the missiles
    Only Cannons can hit missiles. Beams, pulses and other missiles just pass through them. They deemed the hitscan of beams too powerful I believe.
    will adding an 'explosive' effect to it affect how the turret shoots down missiles?
    No, I do not believe it does. The radius would be too small to hit any other missile 90% of the time anyways.

2 cannon blocks and 2 computers (1 module each and linked) is the normal PD turret, some people use Cannon/Missile though, and some people use multiple outputs to increase the spray of bullets (increase the chance of collateral damage).

Reaction score
    Placement on the ship is also important.

Turrets have fields of fire, make sure you cover them all.
    Clusters of turrets can be taken out with a single missile, spread them out a bit.
    Shields, turrets should have minimal shields to insure random cannon fire does not kill them.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I personally use cannon/cannon checkerboard patterns (of varying sizes, depending on the turret). That way it fires walls of bullets at missiles.

Honestly though, just make sure that you only use a single cannon block per weapon group (non-touching cannon groups). Using more than that is useless since missiles have no HP.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    This will make a great section for the guide! Keep it coming :3