How Should Boarding Happen?

Reaction score
    What should boarding be like? I'm not gonna provide an example or anything, just make a thread for it. Do we need new meta items, do we need new entity types, do we need new alternative astronaut options, do you like it now. I've never seen it, actually.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I use boarding as a method to take out pirate stations,i fly there in a cloaker and break in with the torch beam. it takes awhile and can be a challenge to elude the in coming reinforcements. What we need is explosives that can be used to breach ships and stations.

Reactions: Nickizzy
    Reaction score
    the NPC update and Crew would help out a bit. but even still im trying to imagine boarding outside Roleplaying. I can only assume some workaround. short range teleportation into the Crew routes. sticky blocks that can dock onto any hull block. etc but the ai coding just seems almost unrealistic to accomidate every style of ship. how would you go about boarding a doomcube?

Reaction score
    One idea I like is the idea of having some sort of driller-ship capable of latching on to an enemy (Perhaps only a shieldless or otherwise disabled enemy?) and then slowly cutting its way into the ship. Or just the latching mechanism, since boarding in other ways is just a huge pain.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    A ship-based grapple weapon would help.

1) The 'quarters' update will have to be able distinguish inside from outside.
    2) Ship-weapons will have to be outlawed or nerfed for interior use.
    2-b) We will need some balanced anti-personnel turret-weapons that don't one-shot astronauts.
    Not 2-b) Some heavy armor for our marines would B nice.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Nickizzy

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    With your fleet running interference, use power armor or a light assault vehicle armed with explosives to breech the armor/hull/door. Bring friends... ;)o_O:mad:

Dismount the vehicle; armed with a rocket launcher, grapple beam and a sniper rifle. Lock and load. Take no prisoners... :cool:

Failing that, I'd offer the following suggestions...

- Give crew an improved interface where they align with whatever ship/structure you are aligned with. This feature should be a toggle option.
    - Add commands to guard against or, pursue enemy astronauts
    - Add a toggle command to return fire on 'any entity' that inflicts damage on ANY member of the squad. (survivors retaliate)
    - Crew returning fire should be able to do so while following the player.
    - Add the ability to issue weapons to crew; rocket launcher, sniper rifle, laser, transporter beacon, medic beam, etc.
    - Make them smart enough to heal you AND each other with a medical beam.
    - Allow for quick evacuation by issuing a transporter beacon to crew which you can lock on to from your ship to beam them back (and any friendly players) back.

Just my two cents; give or take a dollar.
    [doublepost=1475704671,1475704584][/doublepost]
    A ship-based grapple weapon would help.

1) The 'quarters' update will have to be able distinguish inside from outside.
    2) Ship-weapons will have to outlawed or nerfed for interior use.
    2-b) We will need some balanced anti-personnel turret-weapons that don't one-shot astronauts.
    Not 2-b) Some heavy armor for our marines would nice.
    I've got your infantry support and heavy armor right here...
    Mini-mechs.jpg

Reactions: Nickizzy and Lukwan

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I've got your infantry support and heavy armor right here...
    Go Roughnecks!

(and by that I mean the super awesome Marauder powered jump-armor from Starship Troopers.......the book, not those namby pamby GIs from the movie. GI Joe accelerator suits were a fairy close realization)

Reaction score
    Yeah. The only problem is that when your corridors average 3x3 or less, powered armor is almost not possible in SM. I built a humanoid suit of armor, and the only thing it'd be good for is planetary action. Anything else and it's just too big to fit. (I probably could've squeezed a weaker suit into a smaller space, but this thing packs a c-p rifle and a missile launcher (Cannon support), and has basic shielding).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Yeah. The only problem is that when your corridors average 3x3 or less, powered armor is almost not possible in SM. I built a humanoid suit of armor, and the only thing it'd be good for is planetary action. Anything else and it's just too big to fit. (I probably could've squeezed a weaker suit into a smaller space, but this thing packs a c-p rifle and a missile launcher (Cannon support), and has basic shielding).
    i would love to see power armor roaming through the corridors on my ships xD they all have corridors like that, even my big ones.
    What would be neat is if we had a little turret block(1x1) that popped out when it had an enemy In its sights, wouldn't kill a space marine in one go, but it would make boarding a bit more interesting, think of the trap corridors you could do!

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I also would love to see a self destruct button, turning your ship into a giant nuke could be an excellent idea, perhaps with a count down too and the boarder has to quickly enter the core and attempt to disarm it.