How planets should be! (simple pretty picture)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please code a prototype and try to move fluidly over the surface. Tell us when you notice that it sucks!

(Tip: Not everything that looks good on a paper works out good IRL..)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    none of this is even remotely possible. you would not like seeing it attempted

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think that planet MUST be SPHERICAL.
    but spherical gravity is not so easy to programme...

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    About having planets be spherical with wedge-shaped blocks and a realistic gravity well:

It seems this runs into a lot of technical problems with the engine however, far as I know Schema has tried to implement something like it, or has at least experimented with the idea.

A planet without wedgeblocks and a gravity well won\'t work, it\'ll just look weird on any side not directly above a block axis.

Calbiri and I did come up with an alternative to this system however, the M&M proposal:

Look for it near the bottom of my post if you\'re interested: http://star-made.org/content/donuts-suggestion-thread-holograms-planets-lots-more

@ Ixalite, a little more feedback than \'impossible\' would be nice, this is a suggestion thread for folks to express their idea\'s and others to comment on if they would like it or not and what they would like to see changed. It is not impossible (almost nothing is in coding) and it is a good idea, just not very viable right now.

Reaction score
    Spherical Gravity shouldn\'t be too hard, all you would have to do is pull objects towards the center of mass.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Last I heard, sphericcal gravity isn\'t something that can be easily done because of the engine\'s current limitations, although I expect Schema to try and improve upon it until it is easily possible.

Another problem with round planets is that they have little flat space to build a base on. Building a base that matches the curve of the terrain would be a hard and unneccessary hassle.

I do like your \'indestructible core/magma\' idea though, and it could lead to planets that passively regenerate, giving a slow but steady source of renewable resources.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I disagree with your first point, but i must say that your base problem could be an issue. I think it could be solved by not curving the base to the terrain and having artificial gravity nulify the effects of the planet\'s gravity.