How much did the game progress?

Reaction score
    So I was looking at some reviews for some games, trying to find some new games to play on my PS4 or pc, when I came across this.

As a person that loves space and sci-fi, this looks fantastic and fun. It kinda made me remember that I once played Starmade, but stopped playing it due to the lack of actual things to do ingame. Last I remember of the game was the weapons update, followed by some sort of NPC update and then the crafting update. Each of those updates pushing me farder and farder away from the game and making everybody I knew stop playing it.

So what has been all done to this game since then? I know it's kinda a simple question for possibly a long list of changes but try to fill me in as best as possible.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Welcome back! And I'm probably the worst person to fill you in, as I don't know what you know.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I fail to see how more features pushed you away from the game. Usually people want more?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I fail to see how more features pushed you away from the game. Usually people want more?
    Some people want things to do. The listed features are good for building and crafting/pvp balance, but have absolutely no real appeal to a person who wants to go explore and find things (PvE mainly).

With Starmade, you basically have to make your own amusement with what we have for exploration, like a kid with a cardboard box. For this kinda stuff, we need the critters and mobs, custom factions maybe, better spawning for pirates/stations, something on planets, etc.

That's my take on it anyways.

Reaction score
    I watched that video, and while it looked cool it really seems like a different type of game. Starmade is a sandbox; minecraft in space, and that game looks kind of like counterstrike in space. You select a ship then jump into combat. Thats fine if you like that sort of thing, but it doesnt hold much appeal to me.

So maybe a game like starmade just isnt for you. I dont really see that game and starmade having all that much in common really, except they both take place in space.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Have you read the news posts they have most of the information you require.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Basically we got
    1. engine optimizations,
    2. FTL travel,
    3. tougher armor and shields,
    4. more variety of armor,
    5. expanded distances (sectors and the resulting reach of weapons),
    6. New player-built space stations,
    7. Galaxy formations of star systems

We are on the cusp of a new docking system. (Seriously, not just "as soon as it's ready"; a preliminary version is actually in a dev build now.)

This is leading to a new rail system. The new "HP" system which will probably make ship destruction/overheating a function of mass block destruction instead of core-block drilling has been talked about extensively, but we're still not quite sure how far away that is. Also, there are plans for a new Shipyard method of building ships more realistically. As always, a new quest system is perpetually on the horizon but is not as prioritized as the things I mentioned previously.

tl; dr: In your case, I'd recommend checking back in a year to see if the quest system is up yet. I think that'll be the change that will really turn you on.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Yeah - cool graphics on that thing, but I don't see any building, crafting, exploring, resources, social interaction, etc. It's a FPS in space where your guy looks like a big spaceship and moves slow.