How long will it be before we see the first stick carrier?

Reaction score
    Hi,

I tend to disagree. if you build a cap ship it has to use as many jump modules as that and more. By getting rid of most of the ship I don't have to account for all the added blocks.

So in truth it should take less time than a cap ship to jump because it has the full power needed and less mass/blocks to jump.
    Its simple math. The only extra you may need is enough power caps to store the power being loaded beyond the 50,000 initially stored in he core. That could be the center of the stick ship. Which would provide more than enough.
    It doesn't work like that.

For JD, it's not the mass of the ship alone, it's the mass of the ship and anything docked to it. If you have a tiny stick ship with 1000 drones, then that tiny stick is going to be far too small to support enough JD modules for the mass of 1000 drones.

Also note that "use thrust of docked entities" is currently broken - you get the extra thrust, but also get insanely over-inflated power consumption for all of that "docked thrust". Small drones with small power supply beams won't be enough to cover the power consumption; and large drones with large power supply beams have a much larger mass (and need much more thrust) and make things worse. You'd have to have heaps of thrusters (and power generators) on the carrier. Of course I hope that this will be fixed one day, but I don't know if developers consider it "working as intended" (because the currently broken arrangement is the result of "fixing" the previously broken/exploitable arrangement).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hi,

It doesn't work like that.

For JD, it's not the mass of the ship alone, it's the mass of the ship and anything docked to it. If you have a tiny stick ship with 1000 drones, then that tiny stick is going to be far too small to support enough JD modules for the mass of 1000 drones.

Also note that "use thrust of docked entities" is currently broken - you get the extra thrust, but also get insanely over-inflated power consumption for all of that "docked thrust". Small drones with small power supply beams won't be enough to cover the power consumption; and large drones with large power supply beams have a much larger mass (and need much more thrust) and make things worse. You'd have to have heaps of thrusters (and power generators) on the carrier. Of course I hope that this will be fixed one day, but I don't know if developers consider it "working as intended" (because the currently broken arrangement is the result of "fixing" the previously broken/exploitable arrangement).
    All of what you stated was accounted for. I covered it all here. Even drone mass.
    How long will it be before we see the first stick carrier?

Power supply beams aren't really used or needed unless sitting still. All that happens when you use thrust is no extra power is sent to the primary ship which is fine because its only real purpose is transportation it jumps from a standing position thrust is only needed to move it in range or to dock.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Well we haven't seen one yet.

And with diminishing returns on inheriting thrust (or maybe it is a flat penalty) it doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

However what we do see a lot is drone racks that allow you to easily replace launched drones with just one blueprint and docking maneuver.