How Fast Do You Go?

Whats the speed limit on the server you're on?

• Default 75 m/sec

Votes: 2 9.5%
    • 75-150 m/sec

Votes: 4 19.0%
    • 150-300 m/sec

Votes: 15 71.4%
    • 300+ m/sec

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm genuinely curious about something.

Does anyone actually play on a server (or on single player) with the speed limit set to the default slow-as-Christmas 75 meters per second?

Default settings for several things in the game seem awfully low to me (speed, the build mode sliders, etc), does anyone actually use them that low, or are most people cranking them up?

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm sure the default speed limit will be upped when the thrust update comes, either that or when physics gets wayyyyy better; speed limits are set to prevent a couple shortcomings the game has in rendering and tracking positions that change extremely quickly, such as moving 3 sectors a second.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I play SP almost always, don't bother with adjusting the default speed. Trying to stay as stock as possible.
    otoh, I am constantly fiddling with build mode sliders. Default is ok at first, but I keep having to bump it up. It's just to difficult to control at really high values when you want a specific number. The is true for all sliders, tho. All sliders need an entry box associated with them.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I generally leave my speed at the default in single-player. The reason is so that I can easily tell what I'm doing with overdrive modules. Another reason is that the jump drives and the overdrive modules kind of make the speed problem moot. Regardless, while I keep my singleplayer default, I don't mind occasionally going on servers with increased speeds.

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i can go double of said speed limit. speed does get into problems some times. IE doging an huge object.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I doubled the speed on my SP, and I play on servers that have increased speed by at least that much. Moreover if I am traveling significant distance I'll use my 'runabout', which also has maximum overdrive, so my speed doubles again. That despite 'also' having the 5% jump drive. I truly loathe flying through molasses.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I have my SP set to 300 m/s. Tbh there's no reason to have more since jump drives were introduced.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My SP is on default, but that is just because I am mostly just building. If I were doing much in the way of traveling, I would turn it up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    i set the speed upto 50000 in SP just to try it
    it works nicely. Warp Speed!

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I play a server with 150/300, but I prefer 50/100 sp.

As awesome as high speed is, I prefer lower speeds and larger sectors to give the game a bit more of a sense of scale that is removed when you move so fast.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For the record, the one I'm on is 300 m/sec normal limit.

Fast enough to get around without being ridiculous.

I freaking hate spending large amounts of time doing nothing and being unable to automate it. I wouldn't mind a slower speed limit if I didn't have to constantly sit there with my finger on the button.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Usually set it to 300 in single player. Also have 5km sector size. It helps with the sense of scale, yeah, and makes sublight travel slightly more interesting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'm lazy. I just found the speed limit line and put a 1 in front of the 75. Good nuff.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    For the record, the one I'm on is 300 m/sec normal limit.

Fast enough to get around without being ridiculous.

I freaking hate spending large amounts of time doing nothing and being unable to automate it. I wouldn't mind a slower speed limit if I didn't have to constantly sit there with my finger on the button.
    Use jump drives? The tip of a spoon on the W key works well too :P

Reaction score
    Use jump drives? The tip of a spoon on the W key works well too :p
    I prefer frictionless space and reserve the spoon for charging jumpdrives and firing salvagers. Also, default 75 does the trick for me.
    What's the point in doubling the speed limit, when at the same time you double the sector size so the universe doesn't feel awfully small, with the net gain of even more concentrated asteroid clusters.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Use jump drives?
    I do, but its still three or four jumps to get back to Spawn from my station whenever I have to go help somebody out.

Thats why I built a warpgate back there instead. Default range on jump drives is too short for my tastes. I would think an actual FTL jump drive engine should be enough to get you to the next system.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Default jump drive range is why I have a spamable warpgate on hand most times. Only the ones players are likely to be hanging around a lot have shields but it still has turrets for idiots and pirates.