How does the Universe Generation Works? Also some ideas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    (I posted this on the Starmade subreddit too)

Does anyone knows how the game generation works? I mean, how does the game populate the universe? With a better explanation on how this works we can help Schema balance the universe creation better.

In my opinion the generator need to have some criteria:

• Distance between two solar system should be larger. We don't need that many planets. In multiplayer that would boost planet conquest competition. Factions would need to fight over planets closest to the spawn (2,2,2) or travel far away to find another solar system. A main shop should exist near the center (not too close to the sun). This shop could have more block quantities than the normal shops, like a main hub for player. [for this to work a faction could not use a faction block to set the planet their home base, only stations can be home bases. This faction block can be destroyed by other factions, like the one in Pirate Stations]

• A grey zone (2-5 sector, depending on the solar system size) around each solar system should only have asteroids, and a better chance to spawn shops (normal ones). This sector should also be priority in mob spawning. The asteroids on grey zones should have the same resources that exist on planets, so smaller factions can still gather the necessary resources from them. This will make planet conquest a priority for bigger factions, and perhaps boots factions numbers, because more players means better changes on conquesting holding a planet.

• Everything else should be void. But when I mean void, is realy void, with only an asteroid here and there. In this void system, asteroids should be bigger, and have rarer resources. The shops should be really sporadic, so players have a hard time finding them, and need to return to a solar system to sell the goods. Also, with all the open space this kind of system are the best ones for fleet figths, faction stations, and so on... Pirate Station and Abandoned Stations should only exist in void systems.

This is not a detailed explanation but is enough for some imput from you guys.

---------------- ADDED AFTER:

If this can't be done, I'd suggest the following. This variables could be added to server.cfg (or a universe.cfg) file in order to control how things are created:

• Max and Min Distance between solar systems: The distance can be in "systems". (The size of each system in game atm is 16x16x16 sectors, and a system can be void or solar) If you set the min and max distance to 2 and 6, as an example, a Solar system will never be less than 2 systems (32 sectors) and more than 6 systems (96 sectors), in any direction X,Y,Z from another one.

• Asteroid spawn ratio in void/solar system: A max and min for how many Asteroids can there be per sector, in void and/or solar system.

• Option to turn Stations (abandoned and pirate) in solar and/or void systems ON or OFF, and a spawn % ratio if on.

• Option to turn Shops in solar and/or void systems ON or OFF, and a spawn % ratio (this already exist, but no ON/OFF).

As a side note, do you guys understand how the rotation works? Entities only orbiting around a star in a solar systems? because to me a void system looks static. If that's the case, how's the game calculating sector positions?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can just press Shift+P. I already know the map function, but that don\'t explain how the generation works, or does it?