How does starmade utilize GPU and CPU resources?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I noticed that while playing when around extremely large objects my FPS will drop and will randomly freeze up, while my GPU hovers at 3-6% utilization, while my CPU goed between 25-50%

Can someone shed some light on how starmade utilized these resources, and if possible how to force it (I doubt you can) to utilize more videocard resources to increase performance.

Reaction score
    You are having issues with the collision dedection system which is CPU bound at this point. When two objects get close to eachother, each block in both are checked to see if they are colliding, which can cause a massive slowdown.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I didn\'t mention the collision issues here. I am talking about ONLY large objects by themselves. Not collisions.

Though now that you mention it, how does that gause a graphical slowdown when the server is whats being overloaded?

Reaction score
    The objects don\'t have to be actually colliding for the collision detection to check.. thats why it runs (to see if there are any collisions). It causes the CPU to max out / be unable to do anything other than check for thousands / millions of collisions per second so it can\'t take any input or update the rest of the game.

Reaction score
    Initial collision check should only be about the entities bounding box, at least how i\'d imagine. But something about entity chunk handling is being problematic and slow.

For example, i\'m running a server on my computer (i\'m in EU). I have a friend from US that can hover around planet and see it load very quickly. But why does it load extreeeeeeemely slowly for me only? I have to literally fly 20m away from each chunk to see them appear. Sometimes they appear after waiting for 10-20 seconds or so.

I mean, there is alot going on the server and client that we don\'t have any clue about.

Reaction score
    I\'ve heard that there is just the one width x height x length bounding box around the whole ship, so once that gets hit, each block checks. Obviously I haven\'t tested that out myself but if that is the case it would be the cause of a lot of issues.