How does space friction work?

Reaction score
    It doesn't have to be a quantitative explanation, my specific questions are: How does it effect ships of greater mass? Does it impart a force on a per block basis? Is it like air resistance, where the force is greater at greater speeds?

Based on playing, it feels like that is the case, does anyone know?

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Its server-configurable. I usually play with it turned off, but it slows you down, and it seems to scale with speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm curious as to how it actually works myself. we know it slows you down what it does is obvious, what we are asking is how it does that based upon blocks, mass count what are the factors?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'm curious as to how it actually works myself. we know it slows you down what it does is obvious, what we are asking is how it does that based upon blocks, mass count what are the factors?
    I think it's just universal slowing. It's not so much "friction" as it is losing momentum.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What's the equation governing it? How can I tell for how long my craft will have to accelerate to attain x speed?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd reccomend turning it off. Not only it will be more realistic, but you also won't have to keep holding down W key on long trips.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'd reccomend turning it off. Not only it will be more realistic, but you also won't have to keep holding down W key on long trips.
    Although that does of course come with associated risks. Such as accidentaly hitting a cluster of WIP fighters and watching them drift off endlessly in random directions, trying to pick the one you like the most to go after and save... not that i've ever done that o_O

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Although that does of course come with associated risks. Such as accidentaly hitting a cluster of WIP fighters and watching them drift off endlessly in random directions, trying to pick the one you like the most to go after and save... not that i've ever done that o_O
    Well, you do need to dock your stuff... But it's quite easy now since there's no more trouble with docking enhancers.