How do you make large ships?

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hello, I've noticed that as time goes on, it gets harder and harder to play multiplayer with a smaller ship. I am never able to build anything very large because I get bored of building it early on and it never gets finished. It takes me a few days to build a sub 10k ship, I can't imagine how long it would take me to build a 100k mass ship.

So, with that all out of the way, the question in the title still stands. How do you make a large ship and is it even worth it for a non-pvper.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Warning: Even my larger designs normally fall well short of 100k mass, because I don't have a lot of time to spend in-game, so I'm probably not the target for your post.

1. Using advanced build mode (not placing not block at a time), I build up the exterior to look nice, which adds to my motivation. (Sometimes I have to fly out and just enjoy a look at the shell of the ship to appreciate it again.) I try to maximize my use of shapes that take advantage of advanced build mode (avoiding lots of small bits and pieces that would require laying down single blocks, so that includes avoiding a lot of angled corners that are 45 degrees in two different axes).

2. I will continue to design internal layouts as I go, to help keep the inside orderly. I will redesign not only RP space, but system layout. Working on refreshing designs helps keeps me interested in the project.

3. With my latest project, I have taken to using docked "rooms" to populate my RP space. With this method, I can put in multiple similar rooms by building the room only once with a docking block, then spawning in multiple copies and docking them all to the host entity where I want them. (I'm still learning how to use speed controllers to minimize lag.)

Ultimately, if your heart isn't in building, building will never be a thrill for you. You should probably join a faction as a pilot (versus joining as an engineer.) That means you'll probably want to be a member of a faction that already has at least one passionate engineer, so you can fly, test, and otherwise use his builds. Ships are instantly more interesting if they are built by a friend (faction co-member) instead of a stranger (the rest of community content).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    like anything it just takes time im working on 3 ships with the length of 700m me i used to just build the shell an no inside alil easyer just started doing extensive interior work

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hello, I've noticed that as time goes on, it gets harder and harder to play multiplayer with a smaller ship. I am never able to build anything very large because I get bored of building it early on and it never gets finished. It takes me a few days to build a sub 10k ship, I can't imagine how long it would take me to build a 100k mass ship.

So, with that all out of the way, the question in the title still stands. How do you make a large ship and is it even worth it for a non-pvper.
    Me personally, I like trying to recreate ships from star wars or whatever looks cool. My largest I've done is a medical station thats about a kilo wide from the clone wars series. The key for me, Is to have multiple projects open at once. Instead of only doing one thing and getting burned out, work on a variety of different things. Sure, it takes longer to actually finish it, but you get a nice break, and a bunch of cool ships. So, if I get bored of trying to figure out how to do the hull, I spend an hour or two on the interior, or in the case of my station, ships to be docked in the hangar. Just try and bounce around and mix things up.

Reactions: Randomo