How do you guys move large amounts of cargo?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I built my first planet-eating mining ship. I took it out and chewed up a nearby planet in under an hour, leaving behind a naked planet core that we may use for target practice at some point.

The problem now is unloading the mining ship! I set up transporters right next to its cargo and in the cargo room on our faction home base and it still took quite a while to get all the important stuff unloaded. Now I have 12 million blocks of rock left to deal with! Moving 12M blocks 200K at a time is tedious.

I suppose one option is to go to a nearby shop and sell all of it, but I'd rather hoard it for now until we decide what to do with it, if anything.

Are there any plans for some kind of cargo transfer system?

Reactions: nightrune

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    the best way is to link the cargo block on your ship to your docker, and then link the rail that your docked to at the station to the cargo block on the station. Make sure auto pull is turned off on the cargo block on the ship, and auto pull is turned on of the cargo block on the station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    the best way is to link the cargo block on your ship to your docker, and then link the rail that your docked to at the station to the cargo block on the station. Make sure auto pull is turned off on the cargo block on the ship, and auto pull is turned on of the cargo block on the station.
    That can be done? :eek: We'll have to try it!

Reaction score
    See I TOLD you there had to be a way to do that. I mean. the game allows you to build ships capable of eating entire planets so I figured there was a way to move all that cargo.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yep just C on the rail(s) you want to send or receive cargo on, and V on the storages that you want to send or receive cargo to/from. Turn off the pull on one side and turn on the pull on the other and the cargo will go to the pulling entity. I've got my miner setup with some logic to automatically turn on and off the pulls on the miner when it is docked or not. :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    See I TOLD you there had to be a way to do that. I mean. the game allows you to build ships capable of eating entire planets so I figured there was a way to move all that cargo.
    Its a pretty new thing, actually.

Used to be we had to unload entire planets by hand!

Seriously, it was common practice to have a storage chest at the dock to dump everything in with minimal walking, and then have your main storage areas pull from it. Still had to manually load up and carry to the station though.

Much, much easier now.

Reaction score
    Ship

Docker = master
    Storage box= slave

Station

Rail = master
    Storage box = slave

Do that for every dock and your laughing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Bonus Note:

If you default all your storages connected to rails/dockers to pull, if somebody visits you, or you visit somebody it'll prevent theft.
    But also, you may be able to pinch some stuff back from them, so bonus

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can also set one of the chests to act as personal storage, then open up "cargo" in your inventory and the other chest and you can then move everything by hand.

Reactions: kikaha
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    You can also set one of the chests to act as personal storage, then open up "cargo" in your inventory and the other chest and you can then move everything by hand.
    This is the way i do it. With my factories, refinery and other storages on autopull, it takes less than a minute to unload 12M blocks from a ship.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, this is the way to do it. It's not the 'proper' way, but it's by far easier than fiddling with rail transfer.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I suggest that you just dump it. It's useless, and incredibly easy to obtain in large quantities. So if it ever becomes useful you'll easily be able to stash it up again.

Reaction score
    Starmade needs concrete! Starmade needs heavyweight high hp armor blocks of planet reasources!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    To be quite honest, that would be really cool. Rock could become an inefficient but strong armor... It would weigh down ships but would provide a ton of defense to stations and very slow things.

Reaction score
    To be quite honest, that would be really cool. Rock could become an inefficient but strong armor... It would weigh down ships but would provide a ton of defense to stations and very slow things.
    I was thinking you would need to refine it into concrete first. Plop it into a capsule refinery, 1 rock=1 concrete it should have 1,000 health, and adds 750 armor hitpoints. However, it will weigh ~5-7 mass and have 0% armor protection. If I remember correctly, ahp goes into a pool for the ship, the % armor is how much of a shot gets sucked into the armor pool. Because of this, they would be great for planet defense and would give you scores of armor hitpoints, almost like an unregening shield for high armor% blocks.

Someone imform me how armor really works, I probably did 90% of that wrong on armor.

Reactions: aRottenKomquat