How do you build ships based off pictures?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, you look at the image, (if actually techie and need to be exact, you count the pixels in line, 1 line for longitude, 1 for altitude), then start with the outlines, look at the image again, then the hull, image again, then models on top of the hull, then you start filling it on the inside xD

All manual, no way to cheat or autobuild one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe you could try overlaying a grid over top of the original image in a graphics program using layers. Like, have the ship image as the background layer, and then overlay an image of a grid (with transparency between the lines) on another layer. If the grid is small enough it might give you a rough idea of how you could build the ship block by block.

Of course it wont be exact, but it could end up being pretty close. Enough to be recognizable anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    In my case I just begin building my favorite part of the ship and then I just adjust the rest respecting to that ^^, no need to take dimensions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well I was bored so I went ahead and made a couple images for you that overly a grid onto the image you linked. There is a large and a small version depending on what size ship you wanted to build. The grid obviously doesn\'t line up perfectly with the image, but it might be enough to make the ship recognizable. Unfortunately this is just the side view, so you will have to improvise a bit when doing the top view.

To save the images to your computer, just right click and select \"Save Image As\"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Cross-multiplication using benchmark measurements and draw straight line tools for measurement devices. Works consistently every time.

Reaction score
    There\'s a tool that can convert 3d meshes into voxel models. It\'s totally cheating (which is why I\'m not providing a link).

Reaction score
    I don\'t understand why people think it would be cheating... its not like it creates it in game for you with all of the systems setup. All it does it provide a guide for how to place the blocks and where, and does so in an easy way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi,

I was looking for the same \"auto-build\" option but keep running into the same posts. Anyways, i have figured that the block size is 1 square meter. it at least helps to have a conversaion size in mind when manually converting a ship from a set of specs...

Reaction score
    Could someone suggest any kind of software (free or not) that allows you to reliably and with no complications place an overlay over images? I am in great need of such software.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
    Nevermind, this can be easily done in photoshop. My qeustion is now moot.

Apologies for the double post.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Also SMEdit. for \"cheating\", apparently. http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/SMEdit

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    you can imprt vrmls and others can be used after binvox to make and actualy hull