How do I sucessfully steal an NPC ship?

Reaction score
    I recently "kidnapped" an npc ship by flying along side it with a ship tipped with a rail, and pushing the rail onto the NPC ship's docker (this unintended possibility is something that I saw in another thread is going to be fixed).

Once I'd cut my way in, and cut out the faction block (while avoiding retaliation) I could modify and use the ship as my own.

But...as soon as I exited the core the ship would start flying itself back to it's old faction homebase as fast as it could!
    I could retake control by entering the core again, but if I left it again the ship would start flying itself again...

Maybe the answer is simple and dumb, and I should know it, but I don't: why does it do this, and how can I stop it (and make it truly my own ship, in every respect)?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    why does it do this, and how can I stop it (and make it truly my own ship, in every respect)?
    The Ship Core is still part of the NPC fleet it belonged to. The fleet flag is independent from the faction flag. You could try to disable the AI in the entity menu. But it would still remain part of the NPC fleet. This is a known bug.

Just consume the ship. If you like the design Blueprint it before you do. Then respawn it. It will not be part of any fleet then. Unless you add it to yours.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Just consume the ship. If you like the design Blueprint it before you do. Then respawn it. It will not be part of any fleet then. Unless you add it to yours.
    Or decon to design in a shipyard where applicable. :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Or decon to design in a shipyard where applicable. :)
    Yes that works to.

Though he may not have had a Shipyard in his pocket to use on the spot. Nor did he have the opportunity to limp back to base with the ship.

Especially because:

(while avoiding retaliation)
    The rest of the NPC guild was trying to murder him for stealing the ship. Getting things done fast and make a quick get a way is usually the smartest option while under treat.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    The rest of the NPC guild was trying to murder him for stealing the ship. Getting things done fast and make a quick get a way is usually the smartest option while under treat.
    true - but you can blame me missing that bit on a distinct lack of coffee!

plus, shipyard decon cant always help - if the ships turret end-points havent refactioned for instance, then there may se some... floaters.

Reaction score
    I mean, if it is the design you want you can find the "outcasts" "scavengers" and "traders" (names might be wrong, might want to search for ship names like kukri or spade and then back peddle) folders in your starmade files and copy all the blueprints to your "blueprints" folder. Worked for me.