How do I safeguard multiple ships - faction base?

Reaction score
    Hi All,

First let me just say.... Game is epic! Loved minecraft but this is just something else.

I'm very keen to build ships and generally get stuck in. At the moment I have a ship that is essentially my home, but I'd very much like to be able to 'put it in the garage' and build something else. I'd like to start a faction of my own but not sure exactly what that entails and whether that is indeed the solution.

I'm reluctant to build a space station cos it's just so exposed - and I'm such a noob I know it would just get obliterated immediately ;) Is it possible to build a small, hidden faction base on a planet somewhere, and lay low while building things up slowly with a few friends on the weekends? ('ve heard that the planets move within the 'solar system', and so will not always be in the same sector - if so, how does one keep track of faction bases if I get disconnected or similar and get 'lost'. )

Thanks - any extra info, advice and suggestions very welcome. :)

P.S. I do wish they had a proper 3rd person camera view! - seems a waste to build these beautifully detailed ships that you can't really see when you fly. :/

Reaction score
    Well first you want to make yourself a faction. This by going to the faction menu (one of the menus if you open your inventory) and create one.
    1. Open up inventory or navigation
    2. Select faction menu (right below on the opened window)
    3. You should see 'Create New faction'
    4. Create a faction

As for your base. A faction home base can't be destroyed or damaged by enemies, just as everything docked to it (turrets and ships).

So to make a station a homebase you need a faction module, place that on the station and press R on it.
    1. Press the option 'Enter Faction Signiture'
    2. Window closes (station is now a faction base)
    3. Press R again on the faction module
    4. Now you got 4 options
    5. Press the option 'Make Faction Home'
    As for keeping track where your base you can always find the location/sector from your homebase in the faction menu by going to submenu 'faction' . It will tell you the sector your homebase is in.

Planets do move (I think) but it will stay in the same sector. So if the planet moves, so does the sector they are in

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    and if you play on your own server,you can disable planets moving within the 'solar system' ,just open your server.cfg with notepad in your starmade folder and find UNIVERSE_DAY_IN_MS ..change that to UNIVERSE_DAY_IN_MS = -1

Reaction score
    You can always just dock your ship to an abandoned station and set it as faction home before you log off, then unfaction it later and move on.

Reaction score
    Thanks all for the replies, I didn't realise faction bases couldn't be destroyed, and nice to know you can locate it.

Great game - wish I was a bit better at ship design tho! Harder than i thought!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    planets aren't the place to live on at the moment they lag your computer and sometimes you space ship gets stuck in it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Also don't make a planet base on a server because if the admins blow up a planet while yours is loaded, it will also explode.

Also planets don't move, the sectors they are in rotate.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In the latest build 0.163(release) I can't seem to open the faction module with R. Has something changed with this?
    It seems impossible to create a home-base now, or I must be doing something wrong...

EDIT: Nevermind, had picked the wrong block called Faction Permissive Module, silly me. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    the best thing I've found so far is as was already said, to steal a derelict space station. They don't seem to let you put factory items on asteroids, and planet building is not allowed on the server I play.

You can change the view of your ship tho!
    press \ to spin around your ship really fast!
    or press shift and scroll and you move out of your ship, but the camera is still fixed per say and moving the mouse moves the ship

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    or press shift and scroll and you move out of your ship, but the camera is still fixed per say and moving the mouse moves the ship
    Hold Left then right shift, continue holding right shift and move the camera to get free-rotation in a ship.

I don't know if you have to press both first, I just know that's how it used to be and I still do it, but Left and Right shift have different functions.

Reaction score
    You can double tap right shift to free the camera up to mouse movement.... Then hold left shift and mouse wheel backwards to zoom out...