How do I make a ship that can fight pirates?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been working on designing a ship that is able to fight pirate NPCs. I have essentially made a somwhat large sphere-shaped starship with 3 decks with weapons and shields. The problem is it is sluggish to manuver so it's dificult to bring the weapons to bear and the shields can't take much punishment.

The ship is powered by an attempted 5x5x5 reactor from here: http://wiki.starmade.rtag.me/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Management

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Odds are you are trying too hard in some areas, while not doing well enough in others.

It doesn\'t need to be a death sphere. It needs enough power that it can fly and shoot without draining, that\'s all. It needs good enough weapons to kill them. It needs enough shielding to not be killed BY them, and perhaps some armor to give you a little more durability if those fail (particularly around the core). And it needs enough engines to be able to move around fast enough.

It is easily possible to achieve this in a small enough ship that you don\'t need to worry about being slow at turning. Work on balancing your designs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks, I guess I focused to much on form over function in my past designs. Do you think it\'s possible to achive that kind of balace with a ship slightly larger than a fighter with rooms?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    and I would only add that if you place the core in the center of your ship, the turning circle feels smoother.

As ever, i might be wrong :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    First of all, have a look at your mass, go into build mode and look at the second figure (whatever - XX = whatever, XX is the figure you want) that\'s your mass, the more that figure is the more sluggish your ship behaves. However, it\'s entirely possible for ships up to even, say 3000 mass to fight at medium range combat without being out maneuvered. You don\'t want to get too close however.

It might also help if you post some pictures / the blueprint of your ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    At this point I don\'t really have a blue print. I\'m just trying to work out a formula for a ship that can fend off those pesky pirates.

So far I have used the amount of weapons and power systems from the Isanth-VI as a template. Essentially I built a shape out of system blocks and put hull blocks around that (with some added power tanks and extra shield blocks). The ship seems to perform allright weapons-wise, but the shields still seem relatively weak compaired to the pirate\'s weapons. Also when the shields are hit, I get a face-full of shield effect that blocks my view. Perhaps I\'m doing something wrong in that regard.

Reaction score
    Dude just by a pirate ship fom the starmade ship blueprint download. You can get lots of money from salvaging plexglass in space stations.and finding ice crystals on ice planets.find a space station by going to a shop pitstop there check ur navi and look for a station. Reapet till u find one. Or just do /give_credits (player name)

999999999X3. Ur welcome.

Reaction score
    Rooms are fine on Flagships and other RP type vessels (Role-Playing), but if you want a fighter...ditch the concept of a \"room\" from your mind and burn it. Every block of empty space in a room is a waste of space. If you want something that will actually perform, survive, and get you out of the heat when necessary, it needs to be utilitarian, not lavish and full of useless space. Do some research for good power grid configurations, and make the form of the vessel whatever you want, but do not put rooms in it. That\'s why you\'re getting roflstomped by Isanths.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    First, you don\'t want a 5x5x5 power generator.

These are mostly contest or PvP things.

If you want a Ship to perform good with very few power:

• make a 3D cross - the center close to your core.
    • Use 2-4 thruster strips from front to back, maybe expand them to top/bottom and left/right (3D cross - or partially) It is not that important on thrusters, as long as you don\'t place single ones and don\'t want absolute perfection.
    • Fill the rest with thrusters/shields until you get \"enough\" (what you like).
    • And always keep your power and thrusters at the biggest possible dimension - this way you need less blocks = less weight.

You may want 1 or 2 turrets on the sides. Pirates don\'t focus on turrets - only your core. So they don\'t need as much shields (5-10 should be enough)

If you make two pyramids glued together at the square-side, you get the most content for the least hull-blocks.

Finally, you have to fly spirals.

Pirates always fire in front you - let you fly into the spot where the projectile\'s and your path cross. With spirals, they miss you almost all the time.

Reaction score
    You sir have lots to learn (not you Obi). Use twice the weapons that the isanth has and use 4 times the sheilds. No empty space(isanth I am looking at you). Reactors are magic but for now just use strips. Use turrets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    how u guys didnt notice that the guy that asked this has been gone for a month and 3 weeks

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How many ppls who are new will have the same problems?

We should have such a thread sticky.