How do I know when I have enough? (noob ship building question)

Reaction score
    Alright, so I have been playing exclusively singleplayer... and 95% of that as just been shipbuilding, not really pirate fighting/mining/factory-ing?

I want to take the step into a multiplayer server so I decided to build myself a decent mid-small size ship. My problem is that I just don't know whats "enough" as far as shields and energy go. Obviously I want enough energy to handle the guns no problem, do I want a lot of excess? Whats enough shield Cap/Regen?

Current specs are
    Mass: 2400 (still very empty inside)
    L:121m H:41m W:133m
    Power: 1mill Regen:225k
    2k thrust
    Shield: 100k Regen: 15.4k

only weapons so far are 3 Torpedo launchers doing about 60k @ 220k energy (basis for current power)
    haven't added turrets yet.

starmade-screenshot-0004.png starmade-screenshot-0005.png starmade-screenshot-0006.png

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not sure if it is enough or not. However it does like very badass. Very cool style. Love the curvy plasma launchy thingys.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Not enough most mid sized ships on redshift or EE would be 500K blocks However i suggest you look into lazy gamers as they are very friendly to new people and also have lower block limits where as 500K is the max MUCH better for people just starting off as you can defend yourself abit more in the starting time

Reaction score
    Not sure if it is enough or not. However it does like very badass. Very cool style. Love the curvy plasma launchy thingys.
    Thank you! I actually took the A10 thunderbolt approach to the design. Build a big ass gun, then build ship around it. Thus the 3 holes in the front which actually ended up making a badass skull, I'm pretty happy so far. But i don't know how to do ship interiors....I just don't know what to fill all the interior with. its not like minecraft where you can have rooms dedicated to the different types of crafting, since you cant put factories on ships in this game :/

Not enough most mid sized ships on redshift or EE would be 500K blocks However i suggest you look into lazy gamers as they are very friendly to new people and also have lower block limits where as 500K is the max MUCH better for people just starting off as you can defend yourself abit more in the starting time
    I'm going to assume redshift and EE are multiplayer servers? I haven't even looked at the server list too much. So, total block count is more important than shield stats? I was afraid to make too big of a ship and not be able to afford it right away on a MP server. so i tried to keep it around cruiser size.

Does a ship of this size need a hanger? i know its probably a little too big to land on a planet. how important are smaller travel ships on MP servers?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dont use hangers on PVP servers PVP servers are as follows Redshift and EE mainly due to their larger player base PVP is MUCH more important in order to not die in these servers from people who well enjoy seeing you in pain...
    We mainly use cores to drive to planets and if not that just put some ship docked on the outside hull. PVP Servers are no place for look ships since interiors leave you less space and as such you are at a disadvantage Redshift and EE are both high pop servers they avg 20-60 players online at once and are VERY laggy because of this high pop (Nothing to do with their servers not trying to pick a fight here!) Its just the nature of having so many players online at once

You should try one of the three main servers Redshift EE and GenXnova

Heres a rundown on my opinion of these servers

EE is currently the largest and no limits on ship size (apart from when they think you are lagging the server) I have heard stories from a friend of mine of admin abuse but i have never seen proof and that guy turned out to backstab me so take that with a bag of salt.

Redshift has limits and rules and is very high combat with players that Dominate the server. I have had a poor experience in redshift. Though this is mostly down to its player base and my own mistakes Tip for you Ask pepper. Koderz does not care.

GenXnova Only been playing for a few days but i can say their limits are very low 500K blocks being the max not a good thing really. However there staff gives to fucks about the outside world and are only concerned with their server and the welfare of their player base they continue to give me a warn welcome with help getting set up. I retired from pvp into GenXnova mainly for how friendly and close nit the people their are which is simply not possible with high pop servers

After playing for 2 years on redshift and retiring to GenXnova i regret not going there first.

And on that bombshell i remind you those are my opinions

Server list i currently use is https://starmade-mp.net/ made by koderz. However https://starmade-servers.com/ is a list with more servers and is generally more accepted

Reaction score
    If you need help with system proportions drop me a line and I'll see what I can do to help. For some reason after two years thats still the only thing I'm actually good at in this game....

Other than that, that is definitely not considered a noob ship.... Awesome job!!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah you can get by with that ship no doubt but you will have issues with the larger players is all