how big is too big?

Reaction score
    Over 2 million credits, too large that you collide with anything and everything, and anything that causes way too much lag. Of course people will always make bigger ships anyways, so it doesn't really matter that I'm saying this.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Over 2 million credits, too large that you collide with anything and everything, and anything that causes way too much lag. Of course people will always make bigger ships anyways, so it doesn't really matter that I'm saying this.
    Do you mean 2 billion? Because I've built a lot of ships that cost way over 2 million credits.

Reaction score
    Do you mean 2 billion? Because I've built a lot of ships that cost way over 2 million credits.
    Whoops, my bad. Yeah, I meant 2 billion. Mostly so that it is possible to build it by blueprint. I mean, hand building a ship that big and expensive is kind of ludicrous.

Reaction score
    For the current game there's an "approximately 2 billion" credit limit (which is actually a "2**31" credit limit caused by the largest value a signed integer in Java can hold). This means that (without cheating) any ship that costs more can't be bought from catalogue if it gets blown up, and that means more expensive ships are a pointless waste of time.

As a general estimate (it mostly depends on how many hardened hulls you use), an "average block" costs about 420 credits. This makes it easy to work out "2**31 / 420 = 5113056". In other words, a ship with more than about 5 million blocks is probably a pointless waste of time.

To give you an idea of how big that is; a solid cube with 5 million blocks would be 172 blocks high, long and wide.

If a ship was 7 km long (and had no interior space), then you'd need to make it (e.g.) about 70 blocks wide and 10 blocks high. In this case a much larger number of the blocks would be "exterior" (e.g. hulls) and a lot less would be "interior" (e.g. shields, power, weapons). Basically; it'd be an expensive long weak stick that can only really travel forward/backward (because turning or moving sideways would be too risky).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Qweesdy maybe sure, but it's fun as hell to build something that massive and field it with support. Even if it is technically inefficient, it's still got more shields and power than anything else in the server, and turn rate doesn't matter when you can have turrets the size of moons to fire instead.

because of this, the likelihood of such a titan getting destroyed is miniscule unless directly assaulted for a few hours. And now with effects, these ships can enter warp speed with not too many overdrive modules and escape any dangerous situation.

FINAL EDIT: why do you call it a pointless waste of time? building ships can be fun and challenging. Either recreating iconic vessels or coming up with a unique faction mothership, the time put into it imo can be worth it.

for the credit issue. An old and tiny server I used to play on had the admins spawn in larger ships if the players could provide the additional credit cost in a block. Weird system, but it worked at making some fun fleet battles

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I think the "too big" concept become relevant only in multiplayer. I know of several servers that'll limit you to one titan and I think Mushroom Fleet has a 600m length limit (or had).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Qweesdy
    FINAL EDIT: why do you call it a pointless waste of time? building ships can be fun and challenging. Either recreating iconic vessels or coming up with a unique faction mothership, the time put into it imo can be worth it.
    True, if it's fun it can't be more pointless than playing the game.

Btw: There's a BLUEPRINT_BUY_WITH_BLOCKS option in the server.cfg, this could solve the money problem.

Edit: Didn't Schema mention a hard limit of 64,000m in the second Q&A session?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    See Im not sure buying with blocks is an immediate ''build unlimited ships'' feature. What if you made a ship with more TYPES of blocks than your inventory can hold? You can't possibly have all the blocks needed to buy it on your character then. It wouldn't normally be a problem, but with penta shapes, armor colors, decorative blocks, computers, effect blocks, system blocks, new weapon systems, docking blocks etc it all stacks up... Even long before updates adding all these new blocks I had trouble fitting everything I needed into my inventory... Now it's just that much more difficult.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Qweesdy maybe sure, but it's fun as hell to build something that massive and field it with support. Even if it is technically inefficient, it's still got more shields and power than anything else in the server, and turn rate doesn't matter when you can have turrets the size of moons to fire instead.

because of this, the likelihood of such a titan getting destroyed is miniscule unless directly assaulted for a few hours. And now with effects, these ships can enter warp speed with not too many overdrive modules and escape any dangerous situation.

for the credit issue. An old and tiny server I used to play on had the admins spawn in larger ships if the players could provide the additional credit cost in a block. Weird system, but it worked at making some fun fleet battles
    It seems like you're actually serious about this thing. Just to let you know, just building the hull of a 7km long ship that wouldn't look like a gigantic space dildo or fridge cardboard box would take at least 800 hours of work to make.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It seems like you're actually serious about this thing. Just to let you know, just building the hull of a 7km long ship that wouldn't look like a gigantic space dildo or fridge cardboard box would take at least 800 hours of work to make.
    Speaking of gigantic space dildos...

I remember this one time I was on a server with friends. We'd split into two factions. The faction I was on decided to assault their planetary base by covering it in massive stone dicks. So we did. They hadn't set up turrets yet and their ships were trapped under the piles so they had no way to free them. They had to evacuate the planet in cores and start all over again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    2km long, ~1 km wide, 500m tall. Doable I say, but I'm going for looks mainly but still gonna stuff it with components so it will take a long time. I'm okay with that