Hover Block

Reaction score
    Hey, so I may be missing something that already exists in the game, but I would like to make this suggestion:

Problem: Planet atmospheres are extremely frustrating to navigate in because of the constant gravitational pull. Even the best pilots normally end up getting shot out of the atmosphere at 100 m/s, or colliding with the planet and causing a horrible glitch storm. Although this can easily be avoided by just not entering a planet's atmosphere, there may very likely come a day when atmospheres will be much thicker (one of the most prevalent planet improvement ideas), and it will be difficult to mine or attack planets without actually entering their atmosphere.

Hypothesis: If ships could simply have a block that resists gravitational pulls (like a stop effect that only applies to gravity acceleration), it would help make ships more useable around a planet.

Solution: The hover block. This block can be activated in the ship console, much like a defensive ion computer or a cloaker. It uses energy while on, based on how many hover blocks are attached to the hover block computer. Larger ships need more hover blocks to resist gravitational pull. While the hover block computer is active, it will resist a portion of gravitational acceleration, up to 100%.

Results: With the hover block, you can fly around a planet without constantly having to fight gravity. This will be very useful for those who have planet bases, but it will also come in handy in the future as planets are (hopefully) given more features and importance.

Is this a good suggestion?

Reactions: snata04
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Use a Stop Computer and and modules without hooking them up to a weapon system to reduce the effect of gravity on your ship. If you have 100% effect, you will be able to hover in planetary atmosphere.

Reactions: DoomCarrot
    Reaction score
    Ah, I figured such a feature might already exist. Thank you, that will be very useful.

Reaction score
    A hover block could still be useful. It could make a ship hover a fixed number of blocks above the ground. It would be cool for making ground vehicles.
    Using the stop effect completely ignores gravity rather than hovering.