Hosting a starmade server questions

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    is starmade servers able to be multy threaded?

how resorce heavy is starmade?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'm running mine on a dual-core 4 GB RAM virtual machine. I haven't checked the resource usage but it seems to run smooth with the 4 - 5 players who play on it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yeah It'd be nice if there was a list made of the approximate hardware and network connection required to host 5, 10, 15 players ect...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There's a server section in this forum and a few companies that advertise their services on it are very responsive to inquiries.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    There's a server section in this forum and a few companies that advertise their services on it are very responsive to inquiries.
    That's good and all, But we have no way of knowing if that is what it takes or just what companies offer. I'm thinking along the lines of a non-commercial server hosted at home on a home machine for free, just how good does that machine have to be?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    In that case, all I can suggest is to experiment and find what works best. If you have a high end system with plenty of memory, you might be able to host 10 players. Of course, that's just a guess.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    In that case, all I can suggest is to experiment and find what works best. If you have a high end system with plenty of memory, you might be able to host 10 players. Of course, that's just a guess.
    Yes but I'm guessing my little pentium 4 HT wouldn't stand up well with a 5-10 player starmade server. I'm just wondering how far I can push it before it breaks.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Honestly, no one knows. It's all guessing and overkill in the high end servers. EE used to run with 96GB ram and 2 hex core processors, and it still wasn't enough.

The game changes so often and the community is constantly pushing it. Bottlenecks that cause lag can be anything from someone landing on a planet to someone simply logging in or out.

RAM usage depends on the size and number of entities being loaded in. same for CPU, except you need to account for physics like idiots in kilonaughts de-orbiting planets.

You'll never get a solid estimation that's accurate at this stage of the game, especially in a sandbox that lets you build from a single block ship all the way up to several kilometers. It's like asking what the minimum specs for the client are. It's based on what you are going to do.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Still it'd be nice to have at least some basic idea of what a medium use server would use, but I understand how it's hard.