HorribleHedgehog's stuff (UPDATE 4/8/2016: Amberclad-class cruiser exterior finished!)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hello everyone! I bought Starmade last month and since then it has been eating away alarming amounts of my free time. I'll use this thread to showcase the ships I've managed to finish in my quest to create an uniform fleet of warships complete with RP interiors.

First off - Galeocerdo-class battlecruiser:

I designed this ship as the general purpose workhorse of the fleet. Good firepower and durability without sacrificing all mobility. (Edit: stats displayed here are outdated due to the update)

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 198m, height - 42m, width - 37m
    Mass: 8100.2
    Shields: 812668.0
    Main weapon: Quad-barrelled autocannon (cannon-cannon-explosive)
    Secondary weapons: 2x single-tube lock-on missile (missile-beam-explosive), 1x twin-tubed lock-on array (missile-beam-explosive), 1x single-tube heavy missile (missile-pulse-explosive) and 1x quad heatseeker swarm array (missile-missile-explosive)
    Turrets: 7x RAT1 (rail autocannon turret mark 1) turrets
    Docks: 1 dock capable of holding a single Caranx-class heavy interceptor OR a Mitsukurina-class heavy bomber

INTERIOR STATS:
    Facilities: crew quarters (max. capacity 36), mess hall, medbay, captain's suite, conference room, brig (2 1-person cells)

The mess hall:

The kitchen:

Half of the crew quarters:

Medbay:

Conference room (curtains open):

Captain's suite (curtains closed):

I will keep updating this thread as I can be bothered to take more screenshots/finish more ships. Next up: Caranx-class interceptors, Mitsukurina-class bombers and Sphyraena-class corvettes.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I like the general look of the ship bud, I'd suggest putting ice (not ice crystal, just ice) over the engines and have a play with the effect of light emission through ice. It can create really nice effects with some real depth :)

A bit like this for example, i'm really fond of how these engines came out :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Alright, I tried out the ice+light thing and it's definitely better than bare thrusters:

I updated the light ships I've finished with the new engines and took pictures in the process. So, without further ado...

Sphyraena-class corvette:

The smallest ship in the fleet capable of independent operations, thanks to its jump drive and (admittedly very spartan) crew compartment.

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 53m, height - 10m, width - 13m
    Mass: 340.5
    Shields: 15570.0
    Main weapon: Single-barrelled autocannon (cannon-cannon-explosive)
    Secondary weapons: 1x twin-tubed lock-on array (missile-beam-explosive)
    Turrets: 3x mini-missile turrets
    Docks: none

Interior simply consists of a cockpit and quarters for the pilot and his co-pilot.

Cockpit:

Pilots' quarters:

Caranx-class heavy interceptor:

Interceptor craft for distracting and hopefully destroying opposing bombers and the like.

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 32m, height - 9m, width - 15m
    Mass: 140.6
    Shields: 8449.0
    Main weapon: Triple-barrelled autocannon (cannon-cannon-explosive)
    Secondary weapons: 2x single-tube lock-on missile (missile-beam)
    Turrets: none

Since this craft is dependent of its parent ship, the interior is very simple and lacks sleeping quarters. It does, however, come with a first aid kit.

Mitsukurina-class heavy bomber:

A bomber counterpart for the Caranx. It doesn't quite pack as much punch as I hoped, so I'm thinking of replacing the autocannon with a single-tube heatseeker missile for some serious block damage, but that would leave it pretty much defenseless against opposing fighters.

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 33m, height - 8m, width - 15m
    Mass: 158.4
    Shields: 10507.0
    Main weapon: twin-tubed dumb missile array (missile-cannon-explosive)
    Secondary weapons: single-barrelled autocannon (cannon-cannon-explosive)
    Turrets: none

The interior is very similar to the Caranx, not for independent operations.

And that's all for now. I still have a heavy destroyer to be presented, but as I'm sick of taking screenshots that'll have to wait for another day. :p

PS. The first one to figure out my naming scheme gets an imaginary cookie. ;)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Looking good! Keep it up :)

Keep experimenting with the placement of the coloured crystals behind the ice. You can also achieve cool results with mulitple colours as well as placing the light block in other locations (not directly behind the ice). Are you on the NFD build server at all?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I only play singleplayer, since currently I'm only interested in building (I'm thinking of getting into the multiplayer when the game's finished, though).

I don't think I'm going to experiment a lot with this fleet anymore, since having to update everything every time I make a change is a hassle. :D But I'll definitely run some independent experiments next time I get bored of working on this fleet.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    The NFD Server is a build server where you can build safely and get instant feedback and help.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nice ship. Love the exterior, especially the updated engines.

The interiors aren't boring, but try to avoid giving everything a box shape. Especially the corridors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The NFD Server is a build server where you can build safely and get instant feedback and help.
    That sounds cool, but I'm bit of a loner so I'll stick to singleplayer for now.

Nice ship. Love the exterior, especially the updated engines.

The interiors aren't boring, but try to avoid giving everything a box shape. Especially the corridors.
    Good advice! I didn't give the interiors much thought originally, so I just resorted to using boxes for everything. Looks like there'll be an universal interior update in the pipeline. ;)

Caranx - Kingfishes
    Mitsukirina - Goblin Shark
    Sphyraena - Barracuda
    Galeocerdo - Tiger Shark

I think I'm onto something...
    And we have a winner! Every ship is named after a genus of predatory fish (apart from my planned carriers, Megachasma and Rhincodon - named after the megamouth shark and the whale shark, respectively). I'm deathly afraid of marine life, so it seemed like a good naming scheme for a fleet of warships.

New ships ahoy! Not the prettiest pair, but I like the way they handle.

Makaira-class heavy destroyer:

Dedicated frigate/corvette hunter, mobile for its size and possessing an impressive amount of firepower. However, its shielding is somewhat lacking. This is probably my favourite ship to pilot of the ones I've yet created. Named after the atlantic blue marlin.

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 118m, height - 21m, width - 27m
    Mass: 1971.0
    Shields: 140990.0
    Main weapon: double-barrelled autocannon (cannon-cannon-explosive)
    Secondary weapons: 3x single-tube lock-on missile (missile-beam-explosive)
    Turrets: 2x RAT1 turrets

The interior consists of crew quarters (max. capacity 12), a mess hall, and a medbay. Due to lack of space for the captain's cabin the captain is expected to sleep with the men.

The mess hall:

The medbay:

Istiophorus-class frigate:

Originally a retrofit of a commercial civilian mining ship, the Istiophorus-class maintains its mining laser as its main armament, and with the addition of torpedo tubes, shielding, armour and more powerful engines it can compete with other military ships of similar size. It does, however, have slight problems with power generation - it can't fire both of its torpedo tubes simultaneously due to its underpowered reactor.

Named after sailfishes.

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 78m, height - 20m, width - 25m
    Mass: 1100.6
    Shields: 77723.0
    Main weapon: Single-beam mining laser (beam-cannon-explosive)
    Secondary weapons: 2x single-tube lock-on missile (missile-beam-explosive)
    Turrets: 2x RAT1 turrets

The interior consists of crew quarters (max. capacity 6), a cockpit, and a medbay. As with the Makaira, the captain is expected to sleep with the rest of the crew.

The crew quarters:

The cockpit:

The medbay:

And that's all for now!

EDIT: Almost forgot, I had a group shot lying around:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Update time! And not just any update - the largest ship project I've finished to date.

Sphyrna-class heavy battlecruiser:

I wanted to create a cruiser specialized in taking down ships larger than itself. To that end I made a 'siege missile launcher' - a missile-beam-explosive weapon with ten layered barrels, so that it fires a quick burst of ten missiles for maximum penetration. I also learned that anti-missile turrets do actually work on ships that are part of a faction (previously I've only done testing on non-factioned ships, which led me to assume anti-missile turrets were supposed to shoot your own missiles) so this is the first of my ships to have dedicated anti-missile turrets.

Although not classified as a capital ship, the Sphyrna is routinely used as a flagship of long-range patrols or raiding parties. In larger fleet actions they are commonly grouped into wolfpacks tasked with neutralizing hostile capital ships. It is named after hammerhead sharks.

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 244m, height - 38m, width - 51m
    Mass: 14326.5
    Shields: 1401351.0
    Main weapon: Siege missile launcher (missile-beam-explosive, ten layered barrels)
    Secondary weapons: 1x double-barrelled ion cannon (cannon-cannon (80%)-ion), 1x single-tube lock-on missile (missile-beam-explosive), 1x six-tube dumb missile array (missile-cannon-explosive) and 1x quad heatseeker swarm array (missile-missile-explosive)
    Turrets: 5x heavy missile turrets, 2x RAT2 (rail autocannon turret mark 2) turrets, 15x anti-missile turrets

Heavy missile turret:

RAT2 -turrets:

Siege launcher and ion cannon barrels:

INTERIOR STATS:
    Facilities: crew quarters (max. capacity 54), mess hall, medbay, captain's suite, conference room, brig (2 1-person cells, 1 group cell for 4 people)

Captain's suite (all windows on this ship have blast door 'curtains', though they're open and thus not visible in the pictures):

Conference room:

The brig, showing the group cell. The 1-person cells are too small to take proper pictures of.

The medbay. Note the small quarantine area and the doctor's office.

The mess hall:

One of the kitchens:

Continued in the next post due to the image limit.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Now, about the main gun - some pictures of it being tested on another Sphyrna. One shot straight from behind, after the shields have been dropped.

As you can see, the missiles reached all the way to the core room - carving a hole about 100 metres deep, through a few layers of advanced armour and a whole lot of system blocks.

This picture shows the 'progression' of the explosions well.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    damn, you can really see your progress on design here. Great ships!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've been really busy with RL for the past few months, but now I have more free time and have reignited my love for Starmade. Yay!

I wanted to do something different from my earlier ships. I settled for a ramshackle, ancient-arcane-technological-wonders-bolted-on-primitive-hull-chock-full-of-ordnance type pirate cruiser. It's by far the most ambitious of my projects to date, though not physically the largest. I'm rather very happy with it. So without further ado, I present to you the Loviatar-class battlecruiser:

STATS:
    Dimensions: length - 176m, height - 64m, width - 45m
    Mass: 9845.3
    Shields: 497,981
    Main weapon: Tri-beam laser cannon (Beam-Cannon-Punch)
    Secondary weapons: 2x twin-tube lock-on missile (Missile-Beam), 1x Ion lance (Beam-Pulse-Ion)
    Turrets: 7x small anti-missile turrets
    Docks: 1 shuttle/lifeboat

As you can see, I've upped my detail game quite a bit compared to my earlier smooth-black-hull-all-over-types. I've also ditched my "marine predators" naming scheme - since this ship is so different I felt it deserved a change in naming conventions. I've named the class after a particularly nasty goddess from Finnish mythology, fitting for a pirate ship.

The ion lance:

The laser cannon:

Jump engine:

Sensor array:

Interiors in the next post due to image limit.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Interiors! This is gonna be a long one.

INTERIOR STATS:
    Facilities: crew quarters (max. capacity 16), medbay, captain's suite, conference room/command center, bathroom, hangar/main cargo bay, secondary cargo bay, gunnery bridge, engine room, observatory

Unfortunately I couldn't find the room to squeeze in a brig.

Gunners' stations:

Information officers' stations:

The hallway. Bathroom and crew quarters to the left, captain's suite, medbay and secondary cargo bay to the right, bridge, command center and observatory straight forward, hangar and engine room straight backwards.

Crew quarters. Don't they look cozy?

Captain's suite:

Bathroom. Because everyone poops, and starts to smell funny without a bath once in a while.

Medbay:

Secondary cargo bay:

Continued in the next post due to image limit.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Wow really nice! Definitely a step forward from your previous designs.