Hit point balance and applying damage to cores

Reaction score
    I noticed that in combat when I'm destroying an enemy ship, I have to pretty much obliterate the thing before I make a sizable dent in the ship's hit points. When fighting AI enemies, there will often be little left other than an armor shell, but it still won't overheat even though it's sustained grievous damage and can't perform any of its basic functions anymore.

I think for starters, the total HP of the ship should be less than the added HP of every block in it, since it makes sense you don't need to destroy every last block to finish it off. (On some of the turrets, I HAVE had to finish off every last block before it overheated.) Perhaps the total HP needed to take the ship out could be listed in the ship's stats instead of its actual HP, such that its HP reaches zero when it overheats. Also, I think the amount should be reduced. Maybe having only half your armor left still counts as protection, but having half of your hull blocks actually obliterated basically means your ship is demolished and, if the shots against it were aimed well, it was probably dead a long time ago.

I also wanted to suggest another way to get damage onto a ship, to reduce the necessity of using missiles even further. This combines the old method of shooting the core with the new method of using ship hit points instead of just the core. If hitting the core applied damage to the ship's HP bar, you could focus your more accurate weaponry onto that specific block and continue damaging the ship even though there's not much else left to hit except for armor blocks. This would also bring back the necessity of protecting your ship core.

Repair Suggestion:
    I wanted to end this with an idea for making ship repair easier. Perhaps shops could automatically replace the blocks you lost during combat, and you would pay for the blocks plus an extra amount based on the number of block replacements being made, as a repair fee. It should also fix damaged blocks, charging you the repair fee for the block without charging you the cost of the block. To save funds, you could repair at a player-owned shipyard and the repairs would progress at a sustained rate based on the total number of shipyard blocks or something, with an energy consumption during repairs also based on that. Then you simply provide the blocks from storage units and pay no repair fee except to the player owners if it's not your shipyard. That way it's a choice between time or money, with the time option being balanced to be generally better because it requires a player-built tool to assist.

I also thought it would be cool if shipyard projects all required the actual blocks, or if trade station repairs took blocks from the station inventory. It would make large battleships more of a burden because you may either have to go around to multiple different trade stations to repair, or need a large supply of building blocks in your shipyard. It would both increase the need for constant block farming (which promotes player trading) as well as make larger ships more cumbersome to operate which would make smaller ships more attractive especially for soloists.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    If you're looking to salvage you're going at this in the wrong direction.

Torches are any incredibly powerful tool. Using a cloak/jam ship to board a pirate mob and then torch your way to the core is probably the best way to capture a ship intact.

I also thought it would be cool if shipyard projects all required the actual blocks
    They already do.

Reaction score
    They already do.
    I see that, I misinterpreted the announcement video.

It'd be nice to have more options for capturing ships intact but I was actually just trying to win the fight. The AI ship's internals were devastated, its weapons and shields were long gone. I couldn't shoot out most of its thrusters because it kept facing toward me and the armor protected them. It was sturdy armor and my weapons were relatively weak in comparison. I chewed a gaping hole all the way through it such that I could see open space on the other end, and had carved out most of the interior blocks. It just wouldn't die, I finally had to slowly whittle away armor blocks for several minutes until I'd done enough damage for the core to overheat. That was most of the time I spent in the fight.

I realize my weapons weren't a good type for taking out armor but I didn't seem to have any trouble taking out the systems. With the ship as totaled as it was, I feel it should have overheated a lot sooner. I don't see why I should be required to have armor-blasting weaponry or missiles just to win fights. If I can destroy the ship, doesn't that mean I won?

And it's really not a lot of value in salvaging the armor blocks. If I was going for a salvage operation, I'd probably have aimed for the armor and tried to keep the internals intact, but the overpowered loot drops are far better than any salvage considering these NPCs seem to like dropping stacks of several hundred computers on a fairly regular basis. I've made about 8 million credits from selling carved rocks that took days to craft, and maybe 25 million from selling computers I looted from two AI ships and a weak station.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Fight something over 10,000 blocks. It makes a huge difference.

Your issues are pretty much standard for trying to kill Isanths and other associated vermin ships. They are so small that their hull to systems ratio is absolutely monstrous - by block percentage, they are more of armor tanks than armor tanking titans are.

They have so much armor, in fact, that it actually bloats their structure HP significantly, so you effectively have to break every system block in the ship.

Reactions: thereaverofdarkness
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can edit the HP loss needed to overheat a ship in Starmade\data\config\blockBehaviorConfig.xml

Just look for the <HpConditionTriggerList> and edit the values as you like.

Personally I like to have ships overheat at 85% or so and set the other values to scale accordingly. This makes for much more satisfying (and less tedious) battles without having destroyed ships flying around like nothing was wrong with them.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    What I would recommend: Push pulse prevents a ship from maneuvering at all. It was broken a few updates back but I'm pretty sure it's been fixed. Anyways, use push pulse to immobilize a ship, and then shoot it until shields have been drained and you can cut your way to the core using ship weapons. Then hop out and torch the core and the ship is yours with minimal damage.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    What I would recommend: Push pulse prevents a ship from maneuvering at all. It was broken a few updates back but I'm pretty sure it's been fixed. Anyways, use push pulse to immobilize a ship, and then shoot it until shields have been drained and you can cut your way to the core using ship weapons. Then hop out and torch the core and the ship is yours with minimal damage.
    You can't torch the core. They are invincible until the rest of the ship goes down. Part of my suggestion was to allow the core to soak up damage to the ship if it gets hit. I was shooting the turret cores repeatedly and it did nothing, I had to basically remove every block in the structure just to get them to overheat.

Azereiah, I see what you mean about Isanths having a lot of armor. But there were turrets I fought that had no armor at all, and I had to destroy an even larger percentage of the unit to finish them off.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Errr, try the faction module. At that point you can just enter the core manually and take control. But I see your point. I don't like the core having so much emphasis because coring mechanics for combat were awful. Perhaps having the torch be able to make the core overheat?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sooo.... what you are saying is that you want core drilling back? No thanks, I don't want one block to be the point of the entire ship. As Azereiah said, your problem is that you are fighting ships that are about 80% hull, and largely empty. Fight a real capital ship and things will be different.