Hire these guys.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    https://github.com/smealum/SPACECRAFT

With a concept like this, I can only imagine where Starmade could go. It could literally become the ultimate sandbox game.

The video demonstration of this program depicts the universe I dream of having in StarMade. It's almost maddening for an avid gamer like myself. Sci-fi with seamless planetary flight combined with the ability to build my own ships... Priceless. I would probably buy a new computer and an Oculus Rift in order to play the game I envision growing from this.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    "Technology demonstrators" always look better than the finished product. I doubt that the "seamless transition" would be so with ~15 other people connected to the server.

That said, this is something to follow.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I think Schemas words on this (originally on reddit) should probably be pasted here for all to see. It gives a pretty good overview of his thoughts and might save a repetitive conversation.

that's a nice showcase, and I agree it would be more realistic, but basically it has been talked about a lot already.

Doing this without having physical space ships for singleplayer is not that much of a problem (it has a lot of game-play implications still)

Changing context from a sphere to a block world is something that only works in theory. I've seen a lot of attempts including my own. It causes way more problems than it would solve.

• Seeing the world from 2 difference points in space would have to account for the warp in space. And you dont even have a "point" in this space. If you would put actual space ships in there their geometry would be warped in the border zone. All shots/missiles etc would warp, which means you couldn't really hit anything on a planet from space. In their case they are warping the blocks themselves, which is relatively simple with one restriction that pretty makes the concept impossible for actual gameplay: The planets have to be huge, and there cant be any serious elevation going on. The more you move to or away from the core from a certain "good" value for that sphere you are on, you will see very ugly graphical things.

• data size: as every planet is it's own world, you have to save at best case everything modified. And modification is done as easy as a few missiles. Check the starmade server database, in where planets are the biggest entities (given there is a lot of room for optimization)

• gameplay: Those worlds are huge and starmade is already huge. putting in vast areas where even mincecraft players on the same player would never meet wouldnt exactly help gameplay in my opinion.
    Still this is a very cool video, but it's just not practical, especially with starmade focusing on space and less on planets

oh yeah, more faces would make it rounder. A complete sphere (in theory) would have infinite faces. So based on that I tried to find (based on the input of the forum) a good middle ground of where gameplay and realistic planes would be ok to meet. I mean we are always talking about making a sphere of a cube which doesn't really work in this gameplay context.

If i saw any realistic chance of doing this kind of planet, believe me, I would do it.

The problems with bigger planets are things not visible in the video. The planet, except the places that are absolutely near the player, is hidden by LoD (Level of Detail).

It is mostly used in graphics programming, but in this case has to be also used for the data, as its impossible to hold even one planet of that size - even if one block is just one bit - in memory.

As a simple example of what that means, is shooting a laser from orbit to a planet that is just made out of general very rough faces (planet surface -> very big cubes -> smaller cubes -> smaller cubes -> ...). The shot would have to resolve that to the actual smallest blocks to see where those hit. Now imagine 100/sec of those. Also you have to build a physical mesh for all of those faces to check where stuff collides, and that mesh has to be recalculated constantly for more than one player.

This isn't the first video showing something like this, and people get excited. I understand that. But a fine showcase doesn't translate into the same gameplay that you'd expect. There are a lot of little and bigger things that have to be considered
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/2f07jc/this_is_how_planets_should_be_in_starmade/

Reaction score
    That would be really badass, for sure. But... Well, Schema said most of it. I doubt these blocks hold 2048 bits of information each, and, yeah, there's only one player, probably no physics and else.

That's still a job well done considering the time they had, a very nice project indeed.

Starmade needs better performance... but more than anything, beast servers :3 Quantum computers and else, coming in your mailbox, soon enough! (I hope)

Reaction score
    Has consideration been given to making planets totally flat on the surface (minecraft style) and round LOOKING from orbit? The game would implement a transition state between orbit and the ground simulating re-entry, after which the player would appear several hundred meters above a totally flat world.
    The planet could still be flown around by making it so that when you reach chunk 100 (or whatever) in a direction, the next chunk that loads in that direction for you would be chunk 1. This could cause issues with ships longer than the planet's "circumference" so the planets would have to be very large.
    Another feature that could arise from this would be a difference in flight characteristics between atmospheric flight and space flight. You could also implement a system wherein ships and stations near the boundary would be considered to be "in orbit" and would automatically circle a planet outside the atmosphere.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Untold Universe has managed to successfully make sphere planets that function. It's not impossible just highly improbable that the Schine Engine could make sphere planets in a way that is playable

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    On another thread, I posted an idea for a planet that looks like a sphere but on the surface acts as if you were walking around on the outside face of a cylinder. The only problem is at the poles, which I don't think is unsolvable, just difficult to solve.

I also suggested in the same thread that planets be made much more rare.[DOUBLEPOST=1411070035,1411069553][/DOUBLEPOST]Excuse the double post, but here is the thread I'm referring to. http://starmadedock.net/threads/on-the-subject-of-planets.3154/page-2#post-48402

In any case, I do think something different needs to happen to planets. The dodecahedrons were an ingenious idea except for the edges. The bad edges were made far less bad in the last update to planet generation by making all of the edges the same altitude, making transition a little hop instead of two cliffs and a chasm. I think there might be ways to smooth out segmented planets, but I also think there are completely different things that could potentially be done to make planets far more immersing and elegant than segmented ones ever will be.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    alas the battle of minecraft inspired games continues

To be 3d or not 3d? That is the question