Highlight a target without active turrets firing at it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Turn the turrets off you could say? Naa not that

I'm talking about when you need to highlight a target, be it a asteroid or ship / station for navigation.
    A few times to many I have ended up nuking things I really didn't mean to, I was just trying to get to them or check their shield, armour levels.

So perhaps the ability to target (White) and also select an offensive target for turrets that is separate (different colour or flashing).

Its a little thing that annoys me, but does it you?

Reaction score
    Aye, I'll second the utility of such a thing.

While we're at it, I'd like a third such "target" for telling your Fleet/faction to kill this poor bastard.
    (it's rather simple, I want my turrets to keep shooting that damnned pulse-boat that's trying to gut me. [it is allways fun blasting them across a sector with a ludicrously over-powered push-beam] but the Fleet I brought to the fight needs to keep shooting the enemy super-capitol)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I suggest left ctrl+f for firing on a target and leave the regular f for just looking at the target. This is all assuming they don't have a greater plan for combat controls amongst fleet and turrets planned.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Suggested LITERALLY millions of times

Vitally important blah blah no one on schine seems to give a shit etc etc

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yeah, I've actually been shot at repeatedly by people who leave their turrets set to "any". Blew up one of my construction mechs once. That got me thinking of a work-around. As such; while manual fire turrets are not officially implemented, there are ways to accomplish this kind of operation.

This Mech's guns are among my latest prototypes of what I call "safe turrets". While equipped with these, I can select a target, at which point the guns will aim at it but not fire. The weapons function in a manner very similar to how turrets in Eve-Online work; turn them on and they shoot. Turn them off and they stop. Some very basic logic is involved and virtually all unintentional attacks are prevented.
    My new toy5.jpg
    Using this method, I've successfully created a pulse rifle, an auto-cannon a Barrett-styled sniper rifle and a sort of guided RPG launcher for the mech. Other experiments in progress include a "shotgun", a "flame thrower", a "light saber" and a 'reactive kinetic shield', as well as a large caliber repeat-fire ship mounted weapon. As mentioned above, they all seem to "hold their" fire (in a manner of speaking) until I "fire" them via inner ship remote.

[doublepost=1478236091,1478235878][/doublepost]The original post has triggered my creative juices even more. I'll use what I've learned to make a fully automated salvager turret. I'll post the results when the test is complete.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jayman38