High latency on high population servers

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, as I know other people have the same issue.

So let's say I connect to a server such as Elwyn Eternity and they have 10 players or so online. I'm able to play with a logical latency, for example 120. Yet when there's 20+ people online, I encounter issues all of a sudden. It's first noticeable at "Requesting Synchronize" and "Initializing chat system" while connecting to the server. These steps take significantly longer than they normally would for me. But the main problem, is once I'm actually in game.

After the loading screen gets to 100%, and you're in your little freecam where you can hit the big green "Spawn" button, and I hit spawn. This takes an abnormally long time, sometimes taking minutes to simply spawn into the universe. After that's all said and done, I have generally upwards of 1000ms and the expected symptoms of that all exist (Pressing R to get in a core being heavily delayed, jump drives not activating when fully charged, etc). The game gets very nearly unplayable, and it's very frustrating to see other people being able to play just fine.

But this phenomenon only happens when there's large amounts of players online for the server... when there's less people online I couldn't ask for the game to run better. I know this issue is on my side, due to it reoccurring on multiple servers and having other people playing fine during the time I'm having issues. I have a relatively high end computer, so I can only imagine this is due to some networking problem.

Anyone have any suggestions for what is causing this, and what can be done to fix it?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As of now, this is one of those things we just have to put up with. The latency problem is definitely on the mods' roadmap, but the issue is extremely complex, from what I've heard.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Since there hasnt been a game update in over 2 weeks i think its safe to assume the devs are working hard to fix this bug and will release it once its been fixed

they're probably redoing the games networking or something like that idk

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, as I know other people have the same issue.

So let's say I connect to a server such as Elwyn Eternity and they have 10 players or so online. I'm able to play with a logical latency, for example 120. Yet when there's 20+ people online, I encounter issues all of a sudden. It's first noticeable at "Requesting Synchronize" and "Initializing chat system" while connecting to the server. These steps take significantly longer than they normally would for me. But the main problem, is once I'm actually in game.

After the loading screen gets to 100%, and you're in your little freecam where you can hit the big green "Spawn" button, and I hit spawn. This takes an abnormally long time, sometimes taking minutes to simply spawn into the universe. After that's all said and done, I have generally upwards of 1000ms and the expected symptoms of that all exist (Pressing R to get in a core being heavily delayed, jump drives not activating when fully charged, etc). The game gets very nearly unplayable, and it's very frustrating to see other people being able to play just fine.

But this phenomenon only happens when there's large amounts of players online for the server... when there's less people online I couldn't ask for the game to run better. I know this issue is on my side, due to it reoccurring on multiple servers and having other people playing fine during the time I'm having issues. I have a relatively high end computer, so I can only imagine this is due to some networking problem.

Anyone have any suggestions for what is causing this, and what can be done to fix it?
    happens to me to, there is a problem with starmade's netcode

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Starmade has to send an aweful lot of data over the network, think about it, we all cruise round in several million block ships, each block has its own bit of data that needs sending. The code could be much better done, I know someone who tried to reverse engineer the code, and alot of crap is sent, but I dont think we will ever see the scale people want simply because of the sheer scale of the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It is hard for people without broadband internet to play starmade overseas.

Reaction score
    We all know the the Game is not perfect right now, but its still in alpha state !! Many People worke hard to optimize and build new features.

But you can logon faster if you logout and in at an empty or low populated Sector in Starmade!
    Also Skins are not the best idea, many of this things can be the reason for long logintimes.

But you are right Spawning at an crowded Server can take some time, in our Case i can say its not the Bandwidth or Ressources of the Server!!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    We all know the the Game is not perfect right now, but its still in alpha state !! Many People worke hard to optimize and build new features.

But you can logon faster if you logout and in at an empty or low populated Sector in Starmade!
    Also Skins are not the best idea, many of this things can be the reason for long logintimes.

But you are right Spawning at an crowded Server can take some time, in our Case i can say its not the Bandwidth or Ressources of the Server!!
    Shush.

This is a bug. Look at Pk GS on a popular server. You often see them in the range of 2000. Schema has even acknowledged the big, and is working on it. The issue is not loading times, its overall gameplay with pings at such a high number.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    We are still facing the consequences of the rushed Steam release, we were never ready for so much people.