High Grade Asteroids (and the dangers of mining one)

Reaction score
    I was playing Galaxy on Fire 2 and came up with this idea while doing some space mining. How about high grade asteroids? These asteroids would be extremely rare where they occur, and they would have cores in them. The blocks these things are made of should be incredibly hard to mine. I suggest that such asteroids can only be mined with salvage beams within a specific range of power. Too much power and you destroy the block. Too little and you'd never be able to damage it.

Also, once you get to the valuable core (made of blocks you can use to create very advanced armor and tech) pirates will start spawning periodically to try and take you out. If they kill every player near the asteroid the next time the player visits the asteroid only a husk will be left (suggesting the pirates mined the thing).

Or maybe these asteroids only spawn on multiplayer servers?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We need an indicator on whether a given salvage array is in the "sweet zone" for a given asteroid. Otherwise, it's a crap-shoot, and too nit-picky to be fun. But yeah, a high-value asteroid that spawns pirates when mined sounds interesting. However, for powerful players, it seems like a double-award system, to award the powerful player with superior ore AND pirate loot, so at least in that sense, it seems a bit overpowered.

To keep multiplayer balanced, the game should also have a "news" system that notifies players about a spawned super-asteroid like this, so that there can be a fun "gold rush", with all the fighting that can go along with that.

Maybe, if it can't be in the vanilla game, it might be a great "event" script for a server admin to run.