high cpu load when traveling

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I use to change this setting in the server.cfg...

CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE_CPU = 2

to this...

CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE_CPU = 1

Changing this setting use to reduce my 100% cpu usage that I would get whenever I explored the galaxy or flyed around. I would use it to prevent server lag, server trying to catch up errors, and my spaceship resetting is position during cpu intensity. But ever since the chunk32 update I feel like it doesn't make any difference anymore whether I set it to 1 or 2. In the past it would cause the chunks to load in slower, which seemed to keep my server from falling behind, but now I'm back to parking my spaceship while traveling so the server can catch up. FYI, when uncapped, my framerates are around 240 fps. I have no issues with framrates. I usually cap it at 60.

When not moving at all my cpu will be at 28%-33% usage, which is fine. When zooming across space it will be a solid line of 100% cpu usage a "server trying to catch up message" and the occassional teleport of my spaceship back one sector as I try to fly forward. I would rather my chunks loaded slower at the tradeoff of my server/cpu being able to keep up. I was able to tweak my game in the past to make it run silky smooth, but ever since the chunk32 update I can't anymore, and I can't quite figure out what I need? I just tried smaller asteroids last night, and I'm not sure that it made any difference on cpu/server load while traveling.

System Specs...
    Intel Core I3-4160 3.6Ghz
    8GB Ram
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 750ti

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Two things are at work. One windows update might bork and claim one cpu core all to it self.

Fix Windows Update taking 100% here.

Second the new update did enable smaller Asteroids and that should help a lot.

CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE_CPU

Should be set one number below the maximum available CPU cores on your system. Or the number you can spare if the machine is doing other things as well. StarMade is very CPU hungry.

On a side note how fast are you going? High speed also effects things in a negative way. Hence the server catch up warning.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I have my windows update disabled because of my satellite internet bandwidth limits.

About a week ago I tried a 2 player lan game with my nephew and we were traveling in the same ship at about 100 m/s and it was really, really bad, we actually gave up and stopped playing because we couldn't deal with it. After the update last night I set the asteroids to half size(32 block radius) and tested it in single player and I could still notice it, but not as much as with 2 players a week ago. I tested it just now, right before posting this, at max speed (225), And it seems to be working fantastic, I dunno why it's better now than last night? Maybe next time I see him, I'll give another 2 player game a chance and see how it goes.

I saw there was a (now fixed) bug report for graphics settings resetting when switching between single player and local server mode. It's possible that was messing with my game performance, and making me feel crazy.