Help With Rails! (Again)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, I'm sure somebody else could do this in there head, but I lack the brain smarts what other people have in their head place.

I'm working on a rail airlock, it's a very simple concept that I have half completed.

Basically, a small chamber with two doors. One door is always open. When you activate the system the open doors closes, and after a small delay, the door that was first closed opens.

So basically both doors are never open at the same time, all controllable from using one button.

I just can't figure out how to prevent both doors from being open at the same time. I'm close, but thus far, unable to really get it working. So let's see who can solve this tiny problem first.

Reaction score
    The controlling button goes intto a flip-flop. Pressing the button will toggle the FFs state. Flip flop goes into a NOT gate. Not gate contains the inverse of the FF. After the FF some chained delays have to be added. The FF and all the delays after it together go into an AND gate. This gate will hold FFs value after all the delays go on. Thus it will copy FFs ON state after some delay and its OFF state immediately. This and gate will control one of the doors. A parallel chain of delays and an AND gate after the NOT gate to control the other door. In case doors are plex, you should take the inverse of the controlling and gates as the actual controller:

plexAirlock.png

The not gates at top-left and top-right control the gates.2 delays introduce 1 second interval during which both doors are closed.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh shit... I didn't notice where I posted. Now that I know how tired I am, I should go to sleep and try this in the morning. Nice solve.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So I set this up, and it functions exactly as I asked, but I asked the original question wrong.

So, I want this exact system, but when activating the system, I'm attempting to get the open door to close first, and then the closed door to open only after first door closes.

So, both doors are never open at the same time, even during the opening procedure (because they are rail doors that take about 6 ticks to open)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can place a button next to the rails at the closed state and use that button to open the other door, the button you use that changes the state only needs to tell both doors to close as only the one that is closing will tell the other door to open.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can place a button next to the rails at the closed state and use that button to open the other door, the button you use that changes the state only needs to tell both doors to close as only the one that is closing will tell the other door to open.
    That solution is so simple and I'm so dumb for not thinking of it that I'm starting to think my dad was right about me

Reaction score
    :) Sven_The_Slayer : easy and stable.

You can change the time both doors are closed by moving the sensor button on the rail, if linear. Or by adding an AND from the sensor and some delays, if rotator.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, I added in one tick of delay just for effect. Great solution.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well, I'm glad I came across this thread! :) Now I know why some of my logic that was right beside some rails was glitching out. Heh.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    :) Sven_The_Slayer : easy and stable.

You can change the time both doors are closed by moving the sensor button on the rail, if linear. Or by adding an AND from the sensor and some delays, if rotator.
    The problem with moving the sensor means it will get triggered opening and closing. At the end of the rail a button will only get triggered once.

Reaction score
    The problem with moving the sensor means it will get triggered opening and closing. At the end of the rail a button will only get triggered once.
    Yep, you are right.

Still this could be overcome with a single flip-flop. Or with 2 sensors and an and-delay to get the pulse from the right sequence. But these introduce complexity and could compromise stability.