Help needed (Performance related)

Reaction score
    Fellow Starmadaers, I have found myself in need of your assistance.
    I've tried to ask questions in Support channel of the chat, but did not get any insight, unfortunately.

I have been playing this game for quite some time, and as such have lost interst in building small ships.

My current project is significantly larger than before, being just over 3.5 kilometers in length.

The issue I am experiencing is a huge block placement lag that hinders the construction and consumes a large portion of time. Issue is made even worse by using 1, 2 or 3 symmetries. How bad can it be, you may ask? Well, it can be anywhere between 10 seconds and 1 minute.

What really baffles me is that my office PC does not stutter even for a second when placing such amounts of blocks, despite the fact that it's made out of some plywood, sticks glued together and a trained hamster spinning the wheel, while my home PC, which I believe to be a fairly decent one, albeit put together just under a year ago, stuggles immensely.

Here are the specs of my home computer:

i5 3570 3.40ghz CPU
    GeForce GTX 670
    8GB ram DDR3
    200mbit upload and download internet speed

All drivers and java are up to date.

Please, if you have any insight, perhaps some tests, suggestions, anything, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
    i am pretty sure that this is a problem in the current version of the game, i too have this problem (usually lasts until i relog) and have similar pc stats, if so i dont think there is anything you can do until the update THAT HAS TAKEN GODAMN AGES TO BE RELEASED... ahem.... has sorted it out.

Reaction score
    Bleh. That\'s what I was afraid to hear. In that case I hope it gets resolved soon...

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Thats what I thought the fix was suppose to do but the problem is still there, if not worst.

Reaction score
    Welp, at least now I can put my mind to rest - tested office PC just now, and it lags just as much all of a sudden. I can now sleep.

Reaction score
    I have a little bit of an update.

Apparently the amount of lag (or freeze) does not depend as much on the amount of blocks you place as it depends on the the amount of blocks ship already has. Or more likely the overal dimension of ship.

I was just able to place 10x10x10 cube ontop of a simple core without even a milisecond of freeze and that\'s while using 3x symmetries (office PC).

However when I do the same on a large ship (about 3.6 KM in length, ~600 width and ~400-500 in height) it hangs for well over a minute (even thought it does not have that many blocks yet) and often leads to a game crash.

Something tells me it may have something to do with how large of an entity the ship is docked to, as well the dimension of the ship in question and/or their combined dimensions (of docked entity and entity it is docked to).

The plot thickens!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think you should try the dev build (which includes several optimizations) and see if anything changes or what.

Another thing you can try *if* you can, is to assemble a small PC with used parts (a old PC you don\'t use anymore is perfectly fine), and try to use that one as a temporary server for SM. Connect to it and see if the block-placing freeze is reduced or not. If the block stutter ceases, then it might a problem with your PC\'s threading capability. If it does not cease, then it might be the current SM version isn\'t completely compatible with your specs.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    http://files.star-made.org/build/dev/

It says dev :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Neon you are a life saver I have been looking for the dev thing for ever.