Help Finding/making a comprehensive guide to .14 skins

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I would like to create a comprehensive guide with the help of anyone who knows anything about creating skins because I do not know how to create skins to a degree. I was able to create a solid color skin, but the moment I tried to do anything, I got this;

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    I have made multiple skins thus far for the new model (not posted them all, but if you wish to see an example of my posted work, I have a Commander Shepard skin out, as well as a Captain Kirk and Red Shirt version of Dave), and I have thought of making a tutorial post because I know many people would benefit. But I don\'t know if I\'m the right person to do it, you know?

As for the picture you posted, I\'m not sure what\'s going wrong, but something is clearly not working the way you want it to. o_o

I do have some tips however, for people making skins in general: Go to your StarMade folder, click the \"data\" folder, and go into the \"SkinningResources\" folder. In there you will find all the files to help you make your own skin. I also like using the dave skin in the background, so I know where things are supposed to go (like the eyes, and so on) so that may help you too! The template in the SkinningResources folder is up to date (in case you\'re using the slightly more confusing previous one), and it\'s not too confusing as everything is color-coded and labeled. But one thing is not mentioned: Around every color-coded section is a two-pixel wide border in a slightly darker version of that section\'s color. This is the \"bleed zone\". When your skin is applied to the model, due to the need for moving parts and other reasons I don\'t know (probably), your skin will bleed a bit, this means that the pixels on the edges will blur (bleed) a bit, and if you do nothing with the bleed area, your skin will have a color you did not choose on random edges of your skin in game!! To prevent this, fill in the bleed zone with the color of the section/pizels right next to the bleed zone, so that when your skin does bleed, you will not notice the difference. (whew, sorry that was long-winded!)

- Remember the files must be .png
    - Remember the emission layer, making black where you want no glow, and white/grey where you want glow!
    - Try out your skin, making a new skin will likely have a bit of trial-and-error, so test that skin out! Make marks on it if you don\'t know exactly where a fold is (like on the feet/boots perhaps).
    - If the template is confusing, make that your skin and look at it IN GAME. It can help a lot to see exactly where everything will appear.
    - Be observant, notice the helmet is a bit bigger than the model\'s head, so if you make a visor transparent, where you think the eyes are might not ACTUALLY be where they are, so be aware of that, and again testing in game helps!

Well, those are just the points that come to mind. Hope it helps!