Has single player been fixed yet?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Thanks for coming by Drambit. Sorry you do not like the game, because a lot of people here enjoy it very much. I hope you find something out there to your liking.

To the rest of you: do not feed the trolls, I understand the urge to jump up and defend the game, but save that energy for complaints that do not sound like they were written by an 11 year old...

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Funny thing is while there is a logical way to solve the issue and it looks wonderfully and very able to solve the issue on paper, in reality it could go down the drain and take the game with it so darn fast it isn't funny. You've got to account for things like cost, time needed, permission to do so, many setbacks, the playerbase, your own design goals for the game, etc. If you don't, well this fabulous idea will do nothing but burn up time, money, and sanity only to fall flat on it's face.

Reaction score
    Thanks for coming by Drambit. Sorry you do not like the game, because a lot of people here enjoy it very much. I hope you find something out there to your liking.

To the rest of you: do not feed the trolls, I understand the urge to jump up and defend the game, but save that energy for complaints that do not sound like they were written by an 11 year old...
    I don't think you understand how ironic your post is.

Funny thing is while there is a logical way to solve the issue and it looks wonderfully and very able to solve the issue on paper, in reality it could go down the drain and take the game with it so darn fast it isn't funny. You've got to account for things like cost, time needed, permission to do so, many setbacks, the playerbase, your own design goals for the game, etc. If you don't, well this fabulous idea will do nothing but burn up time, money, and sanity only to fall flat on it's face.
    All of those points are provably false because the game used to be very excellent for single player, all he would need to do is revert 3 or 4 mechanics back to the way they were a year ago and single player would be good again for the most part. Set shops back to the old way, set ice crystals and cacti back to the old way, keep the current crafting system, keep the current stations, and boom single player is much better. People seem to keep conveniently forgetting that almost none of the major updates to the game were meant to effect single player, and single player would have been much better off without them. Ice crystals being worth obscene amounts of money only ever caused people trouble in multiplayer, nerfing them 100 times down in both multiplayer and single player was a huge improvement to multiplayer and a huge kick in the balls to single player, all you would have to do to avoid that is not nerf them in single.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Funny thing is right now single player is coded in such a way it is basically a solo multiplayer server. XD

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ice crystals? And cactus? That's what it was like? That sounds broken. Where's the risk in that? Blowing stuff up for cash is much more fun.

Reactions: Winterhome

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Ice crystals? And cactus? That's what it was like? That sounds broken. Where's the risk in that? Blowing stuff up for cash is much more fun.
    Yeah, last I remembered it was all about mining out cookie planets for cacti and ice crystals, followed shortly in profitability by eating plexglass out of stations and literally leaving the entire rest of the station intact.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Yep the devs just nerfed things that were broken but even I agree there should be a way to set some of those single credit prices higher than 1 for NPC Shops. :)

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, last I remembered it was all about mining out cookie planets for cacti and ice crystals, followed shortly in profitability by eating plexglass out of stations and literally leaving the entire rest of the station intact.
    Lol, ok. I get why the change may have kick some folks in the goolies, but seriously? I remember The 1st time I flew into a loot cloud and got back to a station, looked in my inventory and thought: 9000 warp gate computers? Wonder how much these are worth? Holy shit!
    Pirates, properly managed, are a renewable resource. They only one in game currently. That at least requires some effort.

Reaction score
    Lol, ok. I get why the change may have kick some folks in the goolies, but seriously? I remember The 1st time I flew into a loot cloud and got back to a station, looked in my inventory and thought: 9000 warp gate computers? Wonder how much these are worth? Holy shit!
    Pirates, properly managed, are a renewable resource. They only one in game currently. That at least requires some effort.
    The problem comes when they are basically the only one. There is just this tedious, boring, and extremely time consuming grind that you have to do over and over and over again until you have a ship capable of fighting pirates. This wasn't a problem a long time ago.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem comes when they are basically the only one. There is just this tedious, boring, and extremely time consuming grind that you have to do over and over and over again until you have a ship capable of fighting pirates. This wasn't a problem a long time ago.
    I guess we're going to have to disagree. I can't recognize any of what you say in the single player experience that I've had.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Same here
    Singleplayer has always been crap

Shit gets boring after the seven millionth Isanth, or whatever other community content ships you've put into your blueprint folder for the pirates to borrow. VERY boring. There is no need for progression and there never has been. There is no difference between fighting Isanths with a small ship and fighting, say, NuclearFun Manticores with a large ship - they're the same AI, just with bigger guns and more armor.

It's always been "Run to make the biggest ship you can as fast as you can!" in singleplayer, with the only end goal being to be able to go AFK while your ship kills hundreds of pirate mobs without any input. That is not "fun" - that's testing your turrets out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Figured I would add my 2 cents. Didn't read all the second page so I may repeat something.

First, I disagree with you about single player being "broken". I would say unfinished as it lacks quests/NPCs and many exploration features. I would also note that I don't mind the "grind" for materials, as I can do it very efficiently and so it takes less time to get to a point where pirates are a non issue. That all beings said......

IF your mainly a builder, and your not in it to fight pirates, and do the normal survival grindy stuff.... you could do what I usually do in single player. Simply spawn the blocks you want to build with. I generally use SP as a laboratory and design mode. effectively creative mode. Even though creative exists I still use admin commands cuz why not. If all you want is to build, wouldn't this solve your issue of grinding?

Also keep in mind scale. The goal of building a large titan or battle ship is supposed to be shared by a group. Yes this is multiplayer content, and has an effect on single player. IF You dislike it you could always change configs for your single player to get things faster. I can't say that these methods may seem "optimal" to you but they ARE workarounds. If you read about the game prior to buying it you will notice its a "survival space sim" Those words should tell you off the bat "Hey, this game will have cool features that you will have to work hard (read grind) to explore".

As for your complaint that things arn't "easy" or take a long time to do in single player, I will again point to the fact that the game seems to be balanced around multiplayer. IF Multiplayer is the main focus of the game, and single player more to allow players to learn the ropes, and experiment or design things in creative, in peace so they can use it on a server (after said grind on the server) then atm its currently doing as intended.

I think part of the difference in your thoughts on the game and those that are defending it are as follows:
    I liked the old SP (which you should have known would become more grindy) Because it let me do things fast ! and where are the extra features that will give me hours upon hours of replay in SP?

While we think more like this:
    SP is only here for us to build things without being bothered. MP is where the interesting things happen. We assumed this from the beginning.

THAT being said. I think a full featured SP game with quests, worlds to explore and visit (and yes grind, cuz you shouldn't have a battle ship on your first day period. Yes this is opinion but most people will tell you the same thing on MANY other games. You have to put in a lot of time to get the good stuff), Countless adventures to be had, reasons to actually build things other then to annoy pirates ect. would be welcomed by everyone. Its just not a high priority. Fact is, most games will always focus on multiplayer, because that is what most people want. I say that, having been a lone wolf or single player person most all of my life (im 26 and have been gaming sinse I was 3). I love a good healthy single player as much as anyone, but I think you missed the purpose of single player in this game. Its less an alternative to MP, and more an addition to it.

You don't have to agree that this is the way it "should be" but currently this is the way it is and was planned. At least to my knowledge.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I play to build and I play single player, the concept of deliberately delaying what I'm doing by 10+ hours for the sake of "earning it" in the loosest quotes I can muster, is shit game design.
    Use creative mode. Type in /creative_mode Drambit true . Alternatively you can create an infinite shop or spawn blocks with admin commands.

Seriously, it's not hard :/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you really need to just build and design stuff most people unless they have access to a good server play single player and just use the creative mode side to design ships.

Having said that in single player you can always change the server settings (out of game) to allow mining at a vastly increased rate though that would take the challenge out of it and you might as well use creative.

If you want to have interesting battles you will need to use the new npc wave manager and setup what NPC ships show up when they do spawn on you. Same with NPC stations. They just have basic designs setup. If you want more complicated stuff you will have to setup what you want. To really get the most out of an actual non-creative starmade single player game you will actually have to set stuff up. NPC station designs, spawn waves, NPC ship designs etc.

You can set starting cash and blocks. If you set this higher it can take the initial few hours of grinding out of the game.

Create a faction. Salvage a station down to one block. Claim the one block station and set to faction home base for cheap. You now have faction base cheap to put factories and a raid docker to dock your ship on, and the salvage for certain things is now x12 in the area.

If you can't set this up and your playing in multiplayer mine in someone elses claimed area as there is a mining bonus for you there as well just not x12 and the owner might not like you doing so.

You don't need to setup the settings by joining a multiplayer server and as they have already setup that, but maybe not quite what you wanted.

The one time I played multiplayer on a quite Australian server under the old system crafting system it was too easy in under 2 days I had 2bil credits and I created 20million blocks of hardened armour for sale... Which means I could do that in single player without the hassle of any players getting in the way. What made multiplayer interesting though was I didn't have to setup the pirate spawns the server admin did. They had given the pirates some pretty decent sized pirates ships that swarmed which was nice for loot but if your ship wasn't big enough it really got messy. That's what made it interesting, without me having to setup the pirates.

They have been doing quite a few things to reduce lag. However you also have to go through your game settings and set a few things for it to run better depending on your computer and what size objects usually show up in your single player game. There is a wide variation in computer capabilities these days. Since I'm using mine as a shipyard to design titans so I usually have my settings setup to improve my computers performance. Before the turret optimization patch I could fight my multimillion block titan against one I spawned from downloading it off this site for combat testing. Wasn't pretty but it was doable for my PC. The turret optimization patch reduced my CPU usage by 10% outright for my titan design. Should be easier now. Depending on how complicated your design is there are some things you can do to reduce the lag your ship is producing.

Collisions and the calculations to check for them create a lot of lag. This is why its advised to not just land a ship on a planet. If npc ships get stuck on a planet that will cause massive lag, you might want to clear away delete all npc ships when that happens. They have been reducing the lag created by collision detection calculations but the calculations still have to be done.

This game uses a lot of CPU and if you run out of memory it will rapidly slow down. Having a good graphics card is nice but simply your processor speed and cores is much more important for running the game. There is a massive amount of calculations to be done multiple times each second. The default memory setting is for like a 1GB of memory. Set it higher, you might have to do a bit of research. Also if you have more than 4GB of memory and a 64bit computer get the 64bit java installed and setup starmade to run using allowing you to use more memory. Mine is set at max to 8GB. My titan sitting there under construction uses 1 to 2GB. I play windowed and check my CPU usage and memory periodically. A good graphics card allows you to display the blocks nicer. But all the calculations one what the blocks are doing requires CPU.

Not only is there just game options there is also server options you can lower lag by planets by going into the server setup and setting planet diameter lower.

When I finally have my titan mostly completed (not the decorative interior) I will setup the wave spawner to use a bunch of large ship designs downloaded from here to have a crazy battle time....

Note to get the game to play nicely you really need to go through your config options and set starmade properly. Do some forum or google searches as the options have changed over time.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I play to build and I play single player, the concept of deliberately delaying what I'm doing by 10+ hours for the sake of "earning it" in the loosest quotes I can muster, is shit game design.
    Well then congratulations, they have Creative Mode now where you can have unlimited blocks for everything and just build whatever you want without limitations, with none of that silly gameplay to get in your way.

Now its even BETTER than it used to be for you, as you don't have to waste time doing silly things like eating pirate stations for blocks or selling cacti.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally, I don't bother with the whole mining/crafting business; I just want to fly out into deep space and have fun. That's why I just admin load my ships and shipyards.

Unfortunately, it's ultimately a rather boring universe out there since there is only derelict space stations, empty planets, unusable trade stations, and repetitive pirates to play with. :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hay ive been wondering how you turn off creative mode for my server. how do you do that?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hay ive been wondering how you turn off creative mode for my server. how do you do that?
    List yourself (if you want creative mode still) or a random non player name in the admins.txt file. It will disable it for anyone not in the list.