[Hardcore Survival] Manhattan Project Network Presents: Reign of Destruction

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    What are you saying here
    Means I want people to PvP but PvE is there also for people that don't want to teleport around while chasing people. So we will have pirates and a few tricks regarding the AI for different people like the bounty system. Ahh in the middle of PvPing the police come in and gangbang you. The tears will be glorious.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Server is now live! If you have any suggestions/questions/and or concerns you can reply to this thread, pm me on this forum, or just poke me on teamspeak and I'll get back to you. Enjoy!

Reaction score
    Hey NoPants, sorry for the long post but I found something of a problem that I think you should be aware of. I'll put it in spoilers so this post doesn't clutter the thread.

I was playing on the server earlier and I got killed by a pirate. Unfortunately this meant I was sent back to spawn with nothing but a bit of cash, and with the server's current sector sizes, conventional travel to even nearby sectors can take quite a while. So I opted to buy a jump drive from the starter shop only to discover that the shop is entirely out of power reactors. This left me with nothing but a core to fly around in at max server speed. Now, 250 km/h max speed is quite high, but with the 15 km sector size the nearest shop to spawn is over 100 km away. The sector I died in is over 300 km from spawn, or about 1.3 hours of travel time without warp drive.

I recognize that this server isn't supposed to be easy. My death was my own fault, and I acknowledge that, but this scenario is indicative of a larger problem: Eventually the starter shop will be out of jump drives and anything else that can allow new players (or the recently deceased) to build a ship. This wouldn't be a problem if players were able to explore in a timely manner, but the sector size doesn't allow for that. This means that new players will have to fly around for hours on end doing nothing (or dabble in the crafting system) to actually make a start in this server. Obviously this won't allow for a stable playerbase to form, so I think something should be done to fix this. At this point I have two potential solutions:
    1. Reduce sector size. This is the easiest and most obvious solution, but it also comes with a number of drawbacks. Large sectors allow for smooth combat and probably tax the server less than small sectors, which have to be loaded and unloaded constantly.
    2. Give players access to jump drives regardless of whether shops stock them or not. I imagine this could work similar to the !CORE command that the server currently has. Basically, the player would type in a command and, if enough credits were stored in his bank account, would receive a jump computer, a few modules, and some power reactors at the cost of credits. This command could be offered at an overinflated price to discourage frequent use. Unfortunately, this solution also comes with the drawbacks of being unintuitive to new players while also requiring players with nothing to mine with their bare hands while pirates rain death upon them.
    Neither of these solutions are prefect, and perhaps you or someone else can think of another method to fix it. However, I think you ought to be aware that this problem exists and that it will drive your potential playerbase away if you allow it to persist.

tl;dr: Help! We're out of jump drives and the universe is too large!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Added a !UPDATE command so the server can be updated from a ingame chat command (only certain players and admins will have this command)

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would, but I got another server that takes up all my time. You could go recruiting on the Steam forums

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Changed the server to a faction pvp extravaganza!
    • Faction warfare! The server has been changed to encourage PvP to the extreme. There is now a sector limit of 32,32,32 (27 systems) for factions to fight over. Faction's homebases will now be vulnerable when they have negative faction points and no territory.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Updated the !DEPOSIT and !WITHDRAW commands to now support the use of "all". Example usage "!DEPOSIT all" deposits as many credits as it can until it hits the credit cap. Example usage "!WITHDRAW all" withdraws all credits in your bank. Please note that it must be "all".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Server has been updated to the latest version at the time of this post. Fixed a bug with "!DEPOSIT all" and "!WITHDRAW all". Updated the rules and changed a few things in the script to run faster. Changelog will be coming soon and new commands coming soon also. Thanks for playing Reign of Destruction!

Reaction score
    This server's really fun but it could always use more players. Acrox is already extorting the largest faction so there's not a whole lot left for me to do. If you're interested in having a real Hardcore experience (being exploited for your labor and resources) then you should probably give Reign of Destruction a try.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    We're currently in the process of rebuilding the server. So anyone looking for a fun hardcore survival game we hope we can satisfy your needs! If you have any suggestions feel free. See you soon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I'm currently looking for help with work on the server. We could use some builders to help get our pirate fleet setup and a station in spawn if possible. I'm also looking for anyone that wants to help setup the economy and tweak all the config files. If you're interested feel free to pm me here or just reply to the thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.