Happy Anniversary Starmadedock

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Pi-Rex , I hope you don't mind, but I've featured this thread on the forum front page.

Yep, today is the day when we launched the new forums and our fancy new main site.

In late January of 2014, we were almost ready to release the new forums. Our original plan was to have the forums on IPB (Invision Power Board), we had everything ready apart from the authentication and login service to connect to the Citizens Registry. Unfortunately, due to some problems we came across with the software and a couple of disappointments with our first test runs, we decided to convert the project to XenForo. This pushed the release of the forums back an extra 2 months, however, the decision has most definitely paid off. Below is a link to an archived version of the original forums in IPB.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140128011650/http://starmadedock.net/forum/

Here is an image of our switch to XenForo, at this point we were waiting on Audentio to basically redo the forum design for XenForo, sorry Mike (Audentio) for that extra work :p (Thanks goes to fire219 for this image)

Just a few thanks 1 year on, sorry if I missed anyone...

I'd just like to thank all those forum testers who helped immensely with the design of the site and locating the majority of issues before we released.

Thanks must also go out to the early moderation team, who have stuck with us all this time and were vital in the creation and development of the site and its operations. Thanks also to all staff who've jumped on along the way, it's been great to have you on board.

To resba , who got the forums and Citizens Registry all connected up and ran these forums while I moved to Schine. Without him, I don't know where we'd be.

Thanks to Audentio for creating the forum's site design and the main site's design. I'm still impressed with it 1 year down the line.

Also, to wedtm , without him we would have never got these sites in the first place. Thanks for the Citizen Registry, the main site and helping out with the creation (and sometimes maintenance) of SMD.

To kupu and Bench for creating some of the art and graphics you see around here.

Finally, thanks to all the community members here at SMD. You guys are the reason for us having these sites in the first place. Many of you have had a significant impact on the development of this place, thanks to all those users who've made suggestions and helped form this place into what it is.

Let's see if we can make it another year eh?

Oh yea, I guess thanks to schema for making that game we play...

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I sadly missed the very first day or two of the new site, I was on a camping trip at the time. But most of the other 363 days have been awesome. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Dang you beat me to it. I was thinking about yesterday. Anyway happy anniversary new site! Also the ipb didn't seem as crisp or nice. You definitely chose better going with this.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I sometimes still wish for some features of the old-site, in exchange of some features we have now.
    I just mean: the old-site is sturdy enough, that ALL of it's services still work, apart from the write-lock. (I still have an unread pm in there, which I cannot access due to maintenance-mode)

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I personally don't miss the old forums. It was unattractive, you can see that I only posted 1 or 2 things on the forums, while I already have 266 postings here on a more short period of time. (1 yr vs. 2 yrs)

Reaction score
    I feel I'm obligated to complain about something, so....

Nah, I got nuthin'. I'm glad this game is around; glad that the forum works well and looks sleek.
    Drinks are on me! (GLWT)

~ee

Reactions: Kojinus

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It's also the first anniversary for the Soon™ buyer's badge! Really duke? REALLY???

Last edited:

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    SMD is one of the most advanced, user-friendly web experiences I have seen so far (especially since it doesn't overload visually, like most advanced websites do).

What matters even more though, is that as far as I see it the community here is highly constructive and mature.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I can't believe it's been a whole year. Happy (belated) anniversary to dodecahedron planets, as well.

Reactions: Saxopi and Kojinus