Hand-to-hand combat.

Reaction score
    Please refer to Personal Defense - Armor, Weapons, Boarding, Robots, and Medicine | StarMade

for any misunderstandings, as this is a huge addition to that idea.

Ok, first off, their is this thing where you make weapons for Hand-to-hand combat called a workbench. Their are multiple levels for all the levels of the weapons, of which there are 7, 8-bit through 512-bit. The reason 512-bit weapons are better is because you can pack way more blocks into them without it increasing in "mass" for every "bit" is one mass, and 512 block can go into the space that 8 can if you have a very high-level workbench. You buy a workbench level one for 500,000 credits, the upgrades are 1000000 for 16-bit then 2000000 for 32 bit, then 4000000 for 64-bit then 8000000 for 128-bit, then 16000000 for 256-bit, then 32000000 for a 528-bit bench. the full cost of a fully upgraded bench is 63500000 credits, the possible cost of a weapon at level 7 could be enev higher. but said sword woul do like 17 billion damage, and be able to atack blocks and sheilds as well. There are 5 types of one-handed swords, among of other Some examples of melee weapons would be arming swords, short swords, broad swords, rapiers, hand-and-a-half swords, greatswords, knives, daggers, clubs, flanged maces, winged maces, knobbed maces, spiked maces/morningstars, short spears, regular spears, pikes, tridents, scythes, voulges, berdiches, poleaxes, warhammers, whips, halberds, battleaxes, billhooks, fauchards, lances, staves, mauls, ranseur, spetum, corseques, partisans, glaives, bec de corbins (may or may not be a hammer), mallets, barmaces, cudgels, falchions, katanas, nodachi (technically a greatsword), fighting picks, sabres, scimitars, shivs, and the chinese dao, which is like a broadsword-sabre hybrid. And note, all of these can be vibro weapons/monomolecularly edged/chainsaw bladed/energy weapons. , in order of fire rate, knives, rapiers, shortswords, longswords, and broadswords. each of these is built or spawned in at the workbench with ship parts. If you don't put power on a sword it won't do damage, and if you don't put sheilds on it will break easily. Hull further increases durability, adds damage value if it is on the outside, AND makes it look nice. Thrusters and weapons cannot be added. swords are built in something like a texture editor with a box to make it in. The more blocks you put on a sword, the more mass it gain and the less fire rate it gets. You must find a balance between sword damage and fire rate, because after a point you can add as much block as you want, but it will only decrease in DPS. It will also be easy to block as your character takes longer to swing it.

Next is the combat. When you are walking, the only attack you can perform is a simple stab with leftclick that does half the damage of your blade. you can also parry these stabs while walking with a rightclick. But to really fight, you need to go into an attack stance by holding L-shift. when in attack stance you can't move, but any stabs are auto-blocked. there are 8 ways you can attack in attack stance, and an equal number of way you can block with certain weapons like long and broadswords you can block in 3 direction at once. you determine the direction you block or attack in by holding down W,W+D,S+D, ect. and right or left-clicking. when you block you take NO DAMAGE. All strikes should create a sword entity that phyisically swings like maybe in terraria so it could be possible to hit multiple enimies at once with a horozontal slash.

Last for now is special attacks. They come with expensive modules and give you the ability to do special attacks. one such attack is a laser coming out of your sword doing double the damage of your sword, but it has a big cool-down. Another could be a great spin attack (PLAGARISM) That swings your weapon in a circle around you, hitting all hostile characters around you with double the range and double the damage of your regular strikes.

Reaction score
    The reason why people stopped using swords in battle is because they were outclassed by guns in a lot of ways. Swords are unneeded due to guns striking in an instant, dealing tons of damage, and their range.

Besides, in a real fight you wouldn\'t want to get within arm\'s reach of an opponent because it makes the fight fair at that point. If you have a gun (which i don\'t know why you wouldn\'t) you want to be in the farthest range possible while keeping your accuracy consistent.

Also, it sounds like you want something along the lines of Street Fighter or Tekken in Starmade.

And those prices for modules are way too high. I could buy decent ships with that kind of money.

Reaction score
    This isn\'t only for swords. Its also for just about any other melee weapon you can think of, from lightsabers to spiked maces. You could also possibly make a gun from the above crafting system.

All number are for example.

Reaction score
    This is a game about spaceships. Why focus on melee combat when players don\'t ever fight outside of their ships? If there was some boarding mechanic then maybe an energy sword or whatever could be interesting, but as the game currently stands any melee system is pretty pointless.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But wouldn\'t a boarding party have guns instead of swords? *Ahem beginning of Ep. 4*

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Y\'all need to watch some Legend of Galactic Heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VttN9sWpI

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Or they could try to charge a guy with a paint ball gun and see how close they get...

Reaction score
    uh take one look at WH40K and tell me swords are no longer used in the futer

Reaction score
    Why would a sandbox ship building game need at least 47 different types of melee weapons that are as expensive as and more powerful than a behemoth capital ship?

Very detailed, but all that complexity might be too much for development. Even if this could fit into the type of game, the game is being made by a person, not a large company with a lot of money.

Reaction score
    Its not the introduction of melee weapons that I have a problem with, its the complexity of this idea. A melee weapon of some sort that you can purchase and edit in some way is fine by me, but having a whole intricate crafting system where you can craft every sort of handheld weapon ever devised by man is so very, very silly.

I assume that the combat system is going to be quite simplistic. Again, out-of-ship combat isn\'t the focus of this game and I doubt that it\'ll ever be more than a side feature. Putting such work and detail into an aspect of the game which will likely be ancillary is nonsensical.

But that\'s just my opinion. For all I know Schema could be working on the implementation of lances, plate mail and space horses.

Reaction score
    in star wars lightabers and other blade like weapons are almost as common as gunand there are electro pikes ect so sorry but a boarding party very well could have small swords as side weapons or as their main weapon

Reaction score
    you would think that the armor would protect you from being chopped down so clearly easily i mean current millitary grade armor can stop a bullet a few times but this is sad and no they arent plasma weapons they would cuterize the would and thus no blood but the hand help weapons couldent be strong enough to break through that armor so easily so its just plain weak

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Notice how he\'s aiming for the joints in the armour, specifically the neck area.

Also, they say so in the video, the room\'s been filled with Zephyr particles so they can\'t use their projectile weapons. Zephyr particles ignite when a projectile weapon is used, meaning they have to use hand to hand weapons.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But maybe we could make a micro-universe-ship which can be used as a hand-held weapon.

We already have all tools and stuff for it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So they use swords in other futuristic games. So what? Starmade is not any of those games, which all rely on ground combat, where as starmade is a sandbox ship combat game.

I\'m not saying that melee combat shouldn\'t be added, but this is ridiculous. I could break through a capitol ship\'s shields with that 17 billion damage sword. I don\'t care how many resources it takes, you shouldn\'t be able to do that with a fucking sword. A basic melee weapon creator would be fine, but I don\'t support what most of the people here seem to want. It\'s insane.