Half-buried derelicts as exploration features

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I saw a fun video that, towards the end, shows a half-buried derelict in an overgrown crater.

It would be fun if the planet (and even asteroid) spawning routines would take a NPC craft, rip out the critical parts, lights, and the core, and maybe rip up some of the outer parts, and just place it right into the crust, preferably near the surface.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I saw a fun video that, towards the end, shows a half-buried derelict in an overgrown crater.

It would be fun if the planet (and even asteroid) spawning routines would take a NPC craft, rip out the critical parts, lights, and the core, and maybe rip up some of the outer parts, and just place it right into the crust, preferably near the surface.
    Sounds pretty good. But what exactly are you suggesting? It's a little hard to follow.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Sounds pretty good. But what exactly are you suggesting? It's a little hard to follow.
    I think he was talking about the game using a blueprint, removing ship systems, and rendering the remaining shell on an asteroid or planet as a derelict.

Reaction score
    It might be even better if the derelicts had systems; so, while exploring you have a chance of finding yourself a nice chunk of ready to uses system blocks.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    It might be even better if the derelicts had systems; so, while exploring you have a chance of finding yourself a nice chunk of ready to uses system blocks.
    Or maybe a few function system blocks and intact reactor chambers. That could be a way to obtain them (exploration as a means to get them is a planned feature iirc) as well as the obvious loot in the cargo.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Some ships could be unstable or equipped with hostile, anti-personnel turrets as well. Encouraging caution while the potential loot begs to differ. :cat:

Reactions: Skwidz

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like it! It could be a component of the asteroid or planet plate generation routine with the blueprint integration component. No need for it to strip anything. Just have any blueprint as it is merged to some degree like the Alpha pirate station that has the Isanth embedded in the asteroid.

If you want the stripped out look just have stripped out shell blueprints.

Management of this feature could be through the catalogue or perhaps a part of the blueprint.
    Catalogue wise, it could be part of the permission. Just another tick box.
    In the blueprint it could be part of the classification. Which could also be integrated in a way to have System generate asteroids with local faction blueprints.

There's tons more you could do with this. You could have custom bases generated planet and asteroid side. This could be controlled with a variable in the blueprint better associated with the classification maybe.

Reactions: Skwidz