half block

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    6 position half block. One in each hull type and color. Please. I have 10000 uses for them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    6 position half block. One in each hull type and color. Please. I have 10000 uses for them.
    You... do realize that adding another shape is a huge problem for the game, right?

Another shape means another hundred different IDs that they would have to add, plus colors, lighting, physics, damage, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You... do realize that adding another shape is a huge problem for the game, right?

Another shape means another hundred different IDs that they would have to add, plus colors, lighting, physics, damage, etc.
    What? Finishing a game takes work??

I did however hear someone say (some time ago) that adding such a shape would be a huge hit on performance. Now that would be a reason not to implement it, and I'm not even sure who/where/why, so don't quote me on that.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Yes there would be tons of new ID's that came with that. There are full block shapes that I would rather have like the corner-penta. Adding a new shape takes up ID's which is as I've heard, the only limitation in the game.

On top of that, people will eventually be asking for quarter blocks and nooks so that they can put these slabs on walls and floors without there being a gap.

Reactions: CaptainTaz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Advanced, standard, hull, crystal, Red4 yellow4 blue4 orange4 brown3 purple4 black4 white4 grey4 green4, glass1

40x6
    240 ids
    Fine, i can do without armored and glass variants. Just regular hull in the colors is fine. Still need 6 positions though. That's 60 ids.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421210578,1421210536][/DOUBLEPOST]You guys are such downers. All this suggestion forum has become is reasons why schema can't do it.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The whole ID thing is something that Calbiri said to me one day. Aside from that a lot of the suggestions here are also reposts of some old stuff.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Advanced, standard, hull, crystal, Red4 yellow4 blue4 orange4 brown3 purple4 black4 white4 grey4 green4, glass1

40x6
    240 ids
    Fine, i can do without armored and glass variants. Just regular hull in the colors is fine. Still need 6 positions though. That's 60 ids.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421210578,1421210536][/DOUBLEPOST]You guys are such downers. All this suggestion forum has become is reasons why schema can't do it.
    Different orientations do not take up different IDs as far as I am aware. It should be 30 IDs for all the hull types, another for glass, and 8 more for armored glass variants. Unless my math fails me (which it might as I need to hit the hay) this would be 39 ids max.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You're right, i mistakenly counted grey for a crystal color

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    HIIIIIIII~ THERE
    Way ahead of you guys. You want to do this without extra IDs? I can do that and give you back some of your used IDs.
    Only problem is a weird damage effect and a very long import time.

Reaction score
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do the IDs work with blocks that can be rotated? Aren't they given a subset ID like 5:1 5:2 or is each rotation given a different ID? If addition of half blocks would be pretty minimal. I guess it would be a minimal impact regardless unless like others said there could be some performance issues, but it would seem odd that there would be issues considering the wedges we have. I also saw a comment about corner pentas. What would that look like? Anyone have a mock up of one?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do the IDs work with blocks that can be rotated? Aren't they given a subset ID like 5:1 5:2 or is each rotation given a different ID? If addition of half blocks would be pretty minimal. I guess it would be a minimal impact regardless unless like others said there could be some performance issues, but it would seem odd that there would be issues considering the wedges we have. I also saw a comment about corner pentas. What would that look like? Anyone have a mock up of one?
    The rotation is handled by a set of 5 bits out of a total of 24 (currently), which can give a number up to 31. 24 of those numbers are used to represent all the possible rotations that a block can have. That way, every rotation possibility can fall under the same block ID. (If it helps, you can think of it as a sub-set, but it's just bit-fiddling.)

Reaction score
    The rotation is handled by a set of 5 bits out of a total of 24 (currently), which can give a number up to 31. 24 of those numbers are used to represent all the possible rotations that a block can have. That way, every rotation possibility can fall under the same block ID. (If it helps, you can think of it as a sub-set, but it's just bit-fiddling.)
    Yup that helps. Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, only 4 of those bits are dedicated to orientation. For corners, the 5th bit is actually the activation bit.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Actually, only 4 of those bits are dedicated to orientation. For corners, the 5th bit is actually the activation bit.
    Very interesting, thanks! That only leaves a total of 16 possible orientations. Not nearly enough. No wonder it would need an extra bit to double the orientation bit space.