Guided Torp in Small Form Factor (1x3x7)?II

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Is it possible to make a guided(Warhead) torpedo of any reasonable strength/ quality in said size?

EDIT: clarified

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think not, I just did a setup with 20 missile tube, 0 damage beam and 6 explosive it was totally use less against basic Ishant pirates. It litterly took +10 min to kill one and not for lack of trying.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    For deliveries sake, and considering that warheads do not scale & are reliant mostly on many individual strikes, the smaller the better.
    a "smart" torpedo that's easy to produce, transport & deploy needs a bobby module (can be fleeted therefore removing the need for a bobby, but defeats a major point of warheads which I'll get to), 2.5 thrust to weight ratio, a docker (you ARE putting them on a cloaker, unless they're for RP purposes) & enough warhead coverage on the torpedo itself to ensure it eventually overheats. Mine are 1.3 mass and exactly 1x3x7. I've started to enjoy my torpedo cloakers for pvp more than my frigates & dreadnaughts you'd usually find me flying around in, because god damn you can just put so much hurt on literally anything but a homebase, they just ignore those shields, clip straight through armor and while they do only tiny % of system damage, it's very often to those deeply buried and protected systems like power Aux, reactor lines & weapons groupings, if you're very lucky even computers, storage & logic. This could mean a write off to a whole ship after doing less than 1% system HP damage to it.

Why not fleet them? unfleeted they can A) be left to ambush your enemies while your offline, B) be left factionless and so not easily traceable back to you (you'll be reeeeaaal popular using this one), C) why not both?

Last edited:

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    Altriernels torpedoes (they are guided) are amazing so yes i guess you can
    (they devestate)

Reaction score
    so basicly you run around with a cloaked ship with cloaked torps and blast people, bypassing standard defences. sweet :)

how do you store, target and fire them

reloading seems troublesome, can you make a docked torpedo pod

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    so basicly you run around with a cloaked ship with cloaked torps and blast people, bypassing standard defences. sweet :)

reloading seems troublesome, can you make a docked torpedo pod
    Troublesome? Naaaaah! ;)
    100x test 2.gif
    Auto-loading is pretty straight forward if you make friends with rails and logic. This method can be scaled to fit larger/guided torpedoes. Just keep in mind; the "devastation" Ultragamer2000 speaks of is only achieved by exploiting the glitches in collision mechanics. This glitch will eventually go away; leaving you with weak weapons that barely even dent standard hull.

Reaction score
    hehe starmade... eventually... you funny :)

i dont like the glitch part or cloakes without hull for that matter, but the mechanics seems fun and might look awesome.

I wonder how that Ultragamer2000 will look if it too hit to stored torps :)

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Keep all the materials on hand, or just credits because the parts are few and cheap, blueprint when needed along with the whole cloaker (unbuilding and BPing a whole new cloaker is often faster than reloading these things unless you have a special modular cartridge or something)

Targeting is handled by the bobby AI I just bring them to location, some like to manually dumbfire them off a shoot out rail or with an inbuilt push engine on each torp because "Any" setting on bobby AI can be pretty fickle in a busy sector. I say just bring more torps :D

Firing, personally I just delete the rail basics they're sitting on, can use build mode box sizes to determine exactly how many you want to fire, whether from one side or both, no need for logic lines which give away your cloaker all too often. And in a pinch just hit undock all from the entity menu, ezpz

Can't blame you if you want something more "elegant" though.

As far as how they work, yeah its pretty much entirely reliant on their bugginess and tendency to clip through armor in combination with their intended shield penetration. But their "correct" damage is abysmal at the moment.