grinders/flame torches? awesome! wait a minute... or rather 30

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh cool grinders!
    you can now board a ship using grapple beam, and exualy steal it!
    so cool, you just need to infultrate the ship and wait for.... wait for it, wait for it, you can better go do something else while waiting, wait for it, the grinder to break a block.

yes yes, i did it, i stole a ship.
    well, one that was factioned but not entered or docked.
    it took me 30 minutes to get into the ship, break the faction block and steal the ship......
    thats not what i would call action..... or anything near adventures.
    waiting 5-10 minutes to get through 1 single block kinda releases the thrill of stealing......
    boarding.
    with 1 dmg per shot it will take loooooooong, assuming that when on a big "catch" you will need to go through multiple walls.
    only doubbling the dmg would help a lot, still not enough, but a lot
    then it would have taken me about 15 minutes.
    times 4 would be even better, still not enough.
    4 dmg per shot would take me 7.5 minutes to get to the core.
    but i was exualy done with the thrill after 4 minutes.
    please change this ASAP

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well you have to look for weak points. Grills and lights usually break in about 20 seconds. Its only the super armor that takes that long. Plex doors are kinda soft but still take aroud 50 seconds or so. Just aim for system blocks or decorative blocks. Also it should take a while. You are stealing someone's baby that they slaved over making. Also I think ill make a thread that list the time to break some of the important blocks.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hum.... use the door? If there's a corridor I suggest using that rather than melting your way through tens of meters thick of material, which SHOULD take long to get through.

You're using a hand held tool to break into a space ship, of course it's going to take long :P. Any shorter would be unbalanced.

Reaction score
    Actually , the main balance consideration is how large pulse arrays are needed to kill boarders reliably. If you can kill them with a negligible fraction of your ship mass in pulse blocks , then the boarding mechanic may as well not be there. Because the core is the main target for boarding , you can at least prevent the enemy from stealing your capital ship trivially by placing 10 pulse blocks there to kill them instantly. It may take more arrays to fully cover your ship interior if it's fancy and hollow , but with at least 2 minutes to spare you can afford to just place a single pulse block per zone to cover (slaved to beams for wider radius) and astronauts will die long before causing meaningful damage.

I guess pulses got buffed after all , they now have a role :p

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    How big was the ship? Personally I think schine should be a bit leery around balancing the torch around single people trying to hijack a ship, otherwise it'll be horrifically OP when actual coordinated factions use it

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Actually , the main balance consideration is how large pulse arrays are needed to kill boarders reliably. If you can kill them with a negligible fraction of your ship mass in pulse blocks , then the boarding mechanic may as well not be there. Because the core is the main target for boarding , you can at least prevent the enemy from stealing your capital ship trivially by placing 10 pulse blocks there to kill them instantly. It may take more arrays to fully cover your ship interior if it's fancy and hollow , but with at least 2 minutes to spare you can afford to just place a single pulse block per zone to cover (slaved to beams for wider radius) and astronauts will die long before causing meaningful damage.

You also need a passcode logic, or at least something to deactivate it unless you want to kill yourself. That takes up even more space.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I do believe that this boarding mechanic is primarily a way to get factions to cooperate for such an option.

And also keptick, there's other ways to enable traps, as I'm sure you know

Reaction score
    You also need a passcode logic, or at least something to deactivate it unless you want to kill yourself. That takes up even more space.
    That's only necessary if you like to leave your ship unmanned and undocked. Pulses can be manually activated whenever the intrusion warning pops up.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well you have to look for weak points. Grills and lights usually break in about 20 seconds. Its only the super armor that takes that long. Plex doors are kinda soft but still take aroud 50 seconds or so. Just aim for system blocks or decorative blocks. Also it should take a while. You are stealing someone's baby that they slaved over making. Also I think ill make a thread that list the time to break some of the important blocks.
    i took the shortest and easyest way into the ship, so its not like i didn't try to, it's just that a boarding action should be an action movement.
    but this is just as boring as mining, only it gives more profit. i do like the idea and such, but i miss the action

just wtf m8 wtf..... WTF
    they added this as a new way of battle.
    you are just 1 step away of going into build mode and placing blocks all over the place to capture the boarding player.
    you think that would be fair play? okay on titans I accept some better defence.
    but even 1 interior turret, as small as you can make it, will stop any boarding movements.
    destroying an interior turret is impossible as astronaut, going through 5 walls takes way to long, pulses are too op, NPCs aim too good.
    you can do all these things, to spoil a new feature.
    pulses had no role, now they are op as hell.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i took the shortest and easyest way into the ship, so its not like i didn't try to, it's just that a boarding action should be an action movement.
    but this is just as boring as mining, only it gives more profit. i do like the idea and such, but i miss the action

just wtf m8 wtf..... WTF
    they added this as a new way of battle.
    you are just 1 step away of going into build mode and placing blocks all over the place to capture the boarding player.
    you think that would be fair play? okay on titans I accept some better defence.
    but even 1 interior turret, as small as you can make it, will stop any boarding movements.
    destroying an interior turret is impossible as astronaut, going through 5 walls takes way to long, pulses are too op, NPCs aim too good.
    you can do all these things, to spoil a new feature.
    pulses had no role, now they are op as hell.
    If you had someone on the outside gunning down the shields with anti shield weapons then you could use your sniper or rocket launcher to blow up any defense on the inside. Then get to the core and torch it.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you had someone on the outside gunning down the shields with anti shield weapons then you could use your sniper or rocket launcher to blow up any defense on the inside. Then get to the core and torch it.
    the thing is, to get most profit from boarding a ship, it exualy ha to be impossible that you could ever win a fight against him, this makes the profit sky high, but your idea is true still it would be hard to detroy a turret before you die, even with skills. i do think that it would be possible in that situation