Gravity Detection?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would it be possible to have gravity blocks send a logic signal indicating if you are currently within that block's field?

So that we could set up transition areas where we can use logic to turn gravity on, but not toggle it if its already on?

For example, on ships many times the gravity will turn off as I'm exiting the core, it would be nice if I could put area detectors around the core so that if gravity is disabled it can auto-reenable. Or to have rooms in stations where if I logged into them it would detect me and turn the gravity on, but not turn it back off if I walked back through it later.

Or what actually made me think of this, building horizontal rail cars to move around ships/stations where I need to transition gravity specifically to the car (because the overall ship/station gravity doesn't glue you to the ground, and if you don't the car simply moves out from under you), but everything I could do in a limited space would end up making it toggle on and off because of not having space for multiple check zones. If I could just say "turn on the gravity when you walk into the rail car, and then just leave it on", it would be very useful.

Simply being able to put an activator on the gravity block that would turn on when its being used would be nice, but not sure how that would work for multiple people...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is a design trick. Gravity activated on a different docked object doesn't reset the gravity of the main ship just transfers the gravity to the new object if there both set in the same direction. So I use this difference to keep gravity on as I move around the ship.

For instance to automatically turn gravity on regardless of whether gravity is already on just takes a little bit of setting up. Imagine two doors flush up against each other. The first door has an area trigger for gravity on the main ship. The second door is a docked object with its own area trigger and gravity mounted on it, not the main ship. As you walk through both doors the first one will either turn on or cancel the gravity but as you move through the second one regardless of the gravity set by the first door the second door will set down gravity for that docked object. Note the range is probably limited to normal gravity range from that docked object. I'm not completely sure on the range limit for the docked object.

So to get gravity to stick you onto an elevator platform I just put a area detector across the entire floor of the elevator linked to gravity on the elevator. The instant you set foot on the elevator your gravity sticks you to it. I have an area trigger to activate the main ship gravity in the areas where you walk off the elevator.

I have also setup a few small rail docking modules. Core, Area trigger controller, actuator, gravity down generator, rail docker, 2 blocks similar to the floor I'm putting this on and an area trigger above it. This way it looks like a section of floor with a gravity module in the middle. Depending on how you set it up in corridors or intersections you can come up with some different effects.

To guarantee setting gravity off. Have 3 doors in a row first door area trigger is main ship the other 2 must be spaced apart on the docked module. So doors 2 and 3 both activate the same gravity module. As you walk across you get gravity turned on for the docked object at door 2 and off at door 3. If you walk the other way door 3 will turn it back on as you enter and doors 2 and 1 will reset your gravity to down for the main ship.