Gravity boarding weapon

Reaction score
    Since i saw a lot of big ideas failing since schema doesnt seems to approve or because they faded through all those FTL posts (or fix these requests)...

I want to suggest a rather small idea: an Gravity boarding weapon.

So what it does is:puts you on the same speed as the ship you targeted and/or enables the ships gravity for you.

You certainly wonder why I want this and how it would be usefull.

I once fighted pirates in very big ships (like accidentally big ships) and jumped in them just to troll them.But sadly I was just kicked out because of the collisions.I otherwise could have easily reached the core and "captured" it (I dunno what happens if you enter a pirate core)and I actually didnt care because the other pirats would have destroyed the ship anyway.

The gravity boarding weapon would alow you to easily enter a ship and use your personal weapons (explosives anyone?) to take down the enemy ship making core coverage more important and hugeships less invulnerable(ok it would be kinda like cheating but hey it is cool)

Please tell me what you think of my idea

Reaction score
    If the ship your targeting has a docking bay (large ships generally do), you can dock on to the enemy ship, and walk around inside it, while still being inside the gravity of your own ship (if you were in its gravity before you got into the ship core, you stay in its gravity when you get out). Make sense?

Reaction score
    Ok you COULD dock with your ship but this would require you to find an exposed docking slot and if your ship gets destroyed by other ships you would float off so I dont think its a good solution.

I am really surprised no one is commenting this since personal defense is a big deal with completely insane suggestions (would take a lightyear to implement)...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the main post above.

Also you cant dock enemy factioned ships so thats a nice idea about sharing gravity so to speak, but not possible

I also like having small charges you can carry. I also like the idea of being able to directly shoot cores without worrying about shields.

Reaction score
    Boarding mechanics would certainly add a new dimension to the game! Of course, you can\'t enter the cores of other factions\' ships, nor can you open their plexdoors (with the exceptions of those of the Trading Guild and Pirates). Explosives may work, with personal weapons; Dis-integrator blocks could be used as hull breachers.

EDIT: You claim that this would make large ships \"less invulnerable,\" as if large ships didn\'t already have their weaknesses. They\'re slow, hard to maneuver, and are bound to have blindspots.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Slight thing of note here for those boarding other ships: you can use different angles of gravity via docked ships. Plummet to your foes and board them in any exposed extremities, and hope for high heaven that they don\'t move or you\'ll be in the void of space, helpless.