Gravity and big objects = Horrible performance

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So it's become clear to me, its not big objects near big objects that cause horrible CPU usage giving 50000 pings to everyone.

The problem is GRAVITY being placed upon a big object (150,000 block ship etc). E.g. big object enters gravity of a planet = doom.

This has to be fixed. On my server I basically forbid anyone in giant ships going near planets because it takes out a quad core server. It's ridiculous.

It would appear the gravity calculations need a serious rethink (perhaps just affecting the edge blocks of an object - dont know)... but it's clear it needs optimization.

Same with collisions of big objects but thats another lesser problem

Thanks

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i have a dread i think i crashed it into a planet nothing happened just a collision fix

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    hard cap on how much gravity is applied to blocks over a mass

Reaction score
    But your wrong about how gravity works. It\'s the collision physics calculation of nearby large objects causing the lag.

Gravity uses a ships boxdim and mass, and simple thrust. No complex calculation per block is needed

Reaction score
    Sorry, boxdim is irrelevant, only your core is affected by gravity (I\'m guessing a set range of maybe 10-15)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Only your core is affected by gravity? You are the one that is VERY wrong.

I noticed with 100% reliability bring a big object near a planet\'s gravity, watch the cpu max out.

Bring 50 small objects near a planets gravity, no problem.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I\'m pretty sure he means that if you have a ship that is a core with a line of blocks a kilometer long in front of it, having the far end of those blocks in a gravity zone won\'t make the whole ship affected by gravity. Only when the core is within a gravity zone should your ship begin falling.

With that knowledge and a severe lack of frames, I assume that it isn\'t gravity or gravity\'s affect on boxdims that is causing a performance drop.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    weight plays a factor in the gav calc as a few engines on a large ship will not let you fly so

heavy ships = hella calc\'s for the grav factor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Interesting about the core having to be in range of the planets gravity for the pull to take affect. Wierd but fair enough, keeps things crisp in the performance department regarding initiating gravity on the ship.

The problem then appears to be the After.

Yeah you are right, something has to be done regarding optimization or changing how gravity affects ships, to make it simpler, as the current method is not plausible.

I figure it could just figure out the far box corner blocks of the ship and only affect those blocks (or just the ship core as above) and by some magic of how the game works, would automatically pull down the connected bits, and by some miracle this would be far less taxing on the CPU.

Sorta like if you tap a big ship with another big ship - as long as its a clean brief tap they bounce away, no warping, no 20000 pings... my theory anyway.