Rejected Gold hull

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know there's lots of hull colours already. But I think it would be nice if we could have another colour which is GOLD. It could also be a bit shiny.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ouch! Rejected right out the gate!

Mods to the rescue! Can anyone release a quick-n-dirty yellow-to-gold texture pack?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Ouch! Rejected right out the gate!
    Yea, i should probably explain. There are lots of reasons why but i'll keep it short.

The main distinguishing quality of gold is it's shine and reflectivity. We don't have the use of cubemaps or reflection probes in starmade.

Painting a shine (like the ingot blocks) is not a big problem in itself, but having it tile pleasantly over thousands of blocks is. You'll get a repeated hotspot that makes no sense regardless of light position or ambient strength.

Remove that shine and you get a mis mash somewhere in between 3 existing hull colours. Yellow, orange and brown.
    (Then there is the fact the shine on gold requires polish, something that none of our hull shapes / surface patterns have.)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Yea, i should probably explain. There are lots of reasons why but i'll keep it short.

The main distinguishing quality of gold is it's shine. We either need specular control for that specific block (we don't) or we will need to paint the "shine" on (i won't).

Painting a shine (like the ingot blocks) is not a big problem in itself, but having it tile pleasantly over thousands of blocks is. You'll get a repeated hotspot that makes no sense regardless of light position or ambient strength.

Remove that shine and you get a mis mash somewhere in between 3 existing hull colours. Yellow, orange and brown.
    (Then there is the fact the shine on gold requires polish, something that none of our hull shapes / surface patterns have.)

The only thing I can think of for it would be to give Ingot blocks an inherent armor value and a cubemap shader that reflects the sector skybox texture. Though - shaders are a code deal, not a texturing deal.

Preferably, have an option to turn the shader off clientside.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!

The main distinguishing quality of gold is it's shine. We either need specular control for that specific block (we don't) or we will need to paint the "shine" on (i won't).

Ironic, the Schine Engine can't make a shiny surface that reflects light correctly over many blocks.

I'm actually kind of sad about this. The thought of tacky gold ships cruising the galaxy is kind of hilarious to me. Gold trim could have been a tasteful application for luxury ships as well.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...The thought of tacky gold ships cruising the galaxy is kind of hilarious to me. Gold trim could have been a tasteful application for luxury ships as well.
    Don't forget about simulating gold-plated viewports (for reflecting radiation), and gold-covered static structures. It is said that the great pyramids once had an outer layer of gold plating before random thieves ran off with the loot.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Ironic, the Schine Engine can't make a shiny surface that reflects light correctly over many blocks.

I'm actually kind of sad about this. The thought of tacky gold ships cruising the galaxy is kind of hilarious to me. Gold trim could have been a tasteful application for luxury ships as well.
    Yeah... :(
    Reason I made the suggestion was because I wanted some gold to make this ship:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score

That's not the engine. That's Kupu thinking in terms of texturing rather than shaders. Shaders are easy enough to add, but they're not a high priority, and they're a code issue instead of a resource issue, which Kupu cannot do.

Aceface, if you want to do that, then why not use Threns ingots and wedges or something? :D

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Ace just use brown, it works perfectly fine for Amarr ships.

IMO, there are other colors that should be introduced before brown. Cyan, Lime, another Blue.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You may be over-thinking this a bit... You can produce a cheap-and-cheesy effect that will register to the brain as reflectivity without actually fiddling around with specularity and ray-tracing. Create a tesselating smoothed noise texture. Apply that texture as an intensity mask against the texture of the block. Float the mask over the texture of the block as the angle of the viewer changes.

It's not fancy, but...

Reactions: Winterhome

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is a good idea that has merit. Gold is never a bad thing, even if it isn't shiny.

Yeah... :(
    Reason I made the suggestion was because I wanted some gold to make this ship:
    What game is that?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    What game is that?
    The image says "Caldari Prime Pony Club", which is a site that lets you view EvE ship models if I remember right. The marking on the front of it looks like Amarr as well. Just my guess though.