Planned Give Planets 100,000,000 hp Instead of 10,000,000 hp

Reaction score
    So every server I've been on has every core system planet destroyed and easily half or more of every planet in the inner galaxy destroyed.
    A common troll tactic seems to be flying around in a (not even very large) ship and blowing up every planet in people's home systems just because it's so easy.

To give you an example of how easy it is to destroy a planet, just look at this small weapon, which can do it in one shot.

So why not just massively upgrade the hitpoints of planets?
    Having them so easy to destroy is immersion-breaking

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    How does one provide enough power to fire that thing for long enough to kill the planet? o_O

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Increasing their HP by a factor of ten isn't going to do anything. Trolls will be trolls, and there are legitimate reasons for people to blow up planets.

Reaction score
    How does one provide enough power to fire that thing for long enough to kill the planet? o_O
    It only requires one charge of about 300 mil energy to fire the weapon once.

Increasing their HP by a factor of ten isn't going to do anything.
    It will when it requires them to build a 2,100,000 block ship to destroy planets rather than a 210,000 block ship.

Do you have any compelling reasons for why planets should be so easily destroyed?
    They are planets after all.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Technically they could use the same ship to kill the planet, it'd just need a higher fire rate and faster power recharge. :)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe also give the core HP and armor values based on all the blocks on all the attached plates, to further reduce damage taken.

Plus, why stop at 100 M? Go for the gold and increase it all the way to the max of 2.1 B HP, over 200 times the current HP count.

Yeah, players will still be able to destroy the planet, but it will require significantly more effort, so that planet detonation will really feel like a genuine accomplishment, leading to the OP's desire for improved immersion.

I am chuckling at the thought of trolls building entire fleets of Vogon construction ships to take down planets before they reach their boredom threshold.

Reaction score
    I personally dont see a reason for this, never found destroying a planet seeming unreasonably quick.

Reaction score
    Maybe you're just like me, Gonzalo, and don't build huge ships with super-powered arrays of death.

Planet-cracking should NOT be easy. The energy output to completely obliterate a planet in some sort of massive explosion is immense. It's not something that should happen just cause that planet is there and you're bored. It should be a carefully thought-out endeavor.

Reaction score
    Definitely should make the planets way stronger than they are because...THEY ARE PLANETS!!! It's utterly ridiculous that planets are easier to kill than most ships.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    how about we just base the planet core's HP on the number of blocks on the planet

y'know, seeing as how it's not unreasonable to turn an R50 planet into dust instantly with one missile, considering that some missiles can blast off over a third of the planet instantly.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    210,000 block ship.
    I'm not sure what servers you've been playing on, but 210,000 blocks JUST to support a planet killing gun is a lot in vanilla, even if the large majority of that is power capacitors.

Azereiah's suggestion is a good idea, though, since it means planets will be harder to kill than just breaking through the shields on one plate. (Speaking of which, planet plates should really share their shields with eachother.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cool OP suggestion.

I'm in the "planets should be nearly impossible to kill" camp.

Make atmosphere reduce passing projectile damage massively (like advanced armor percentage). Non-homebase'd planetary bases could actually be difficult to kill! And a thing that players want!

Server.cfg option to adjust planet HP would be swell.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yea, if star wars was set in starmade, the death star would have been "so what, a frigate can do that" (a star wars scaled frigate, which I think is somewhere in the area of 500 meters).

Killing a planet should take something crazy huge.

Reaction score
    Star Wars Frigates are usually smaller than that. Cruisers are in that range (500-1000 or so, I think. But it all depends on which classification system you use. And yes, there are different classification systems within Star Wars itself). Star Destroyers/ Star Cruisers are 1k--around 3k. At that point, you reach Star Dreadnoughts, and all reason goes out the window.
    The Death Star, at 100000 kilometers across, falls into a category of super-weapons/mega-constructions that dwarf most others.

The closest you can come to Death Star-level destruction requires a fleet of Star Destroyers and a "Base Delta Zero", which basically means that the Empire's forces show up the Covenant (From Halo) and burn the surface of the planet to cinders.....fast.

Reaction score
    Yeah. There's other types of Star Destroyers, though. Many classes besides just Imperial, although some were never canon and some are no longer canon. Darn you, Disney.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'd be more okay with it taking a lot to kill planets if planets weren't generally smaller than some ships.

Reaction score
    I'd be more okay with it taking a lot to kill planets if planets weren't generally smaller than some ships.
    Planets are small in the game due to the limitations of servers/player performance, not because they are supposed to be easy to kill.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Star Wars Frigates are usually smaller than that. Cruisers are in that range (500-1000 or so, I think. But it all depends on which classification system you use. And yes, there are different classification systems within Star Wars itself). Star Destroyers/ Star Cruisers are 1k--around 3k. At that point, you reach Star Dreadnoughts, and all reason goes out the window.
    The Death Star, at 100000 kilometers across, falls into a category of super-weapons/mega-constructions that dwarf most others.

The closest you can come to Death Star-level destruction requires a fleet of Star Destroyers and a "Base Delta Zero", which basically means that the Empire's forces show up the Covenant (From Halo) and burn the surface of the planet to cinders.....fast.
    The point is, totally obliterating a planet, actually shattering it rather than simply burning the surface or even melting the crust, was a crazy feat in star wars, and took a weapon of totally unprecedented size. In star made, planet-killing weapons are common and unimpressive.