Read by Schine Give Consoles A Wedge Hitbox So We Can Sit At Them

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Decorative consoles are great. They just have one slight problem. Unlike wedges, you cannot sit at them, because they have the same hitbox as a full block.

Until we get custom hitboxes for blocks with LOD, can I recommend giving consoles the same hitbox as a wedge so we can sit at them?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This suggestion makes sense, and I support it.

In the meantime, there is a way to achieve these results with the current mechanics: Make a docked ship that contains the core, rail docker, and any decoration you desire, such as these consoles.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This suggestion makes sense, and I support it.

In the meantime, there is a way to achieve these results with the current mechanics: Make a docked ship that contains the core, rail docker, and any decoration you desire, such as these consoles.
    Good idea. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I do an RP build, but since my current build is a PvP build, I'd rather keep the number of docked entities as low as possible.

Reaction score
    No thanks. I think it would be really weird to be able to sit on them.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I disagree with the OP. I think the console (and any subsequent similar object) should get their own shape as a hitbox, not only to allow seating, but also for more accurate "sparks" sources when small weapons-fire hits (or other source of particles, like system damage sparks, smoke, etc.). I hope the cuboid hitbox is just a placeholder.

As a temporary solution, a wedge would be a good band-aid fix, but I want to see permanent solutions, because band-aid solutions tend to overstay their welcome. That's why I want to skip the whole wedge thing altogether and go with a geometrically equivalent hitbox.

You can still use a simpler shape as a bounding box, to help pre-optimize interactions, but for physics and interference, the actual shape should be used.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I disagree with the OP. I think the console (and any subsequent similar object) should get their own shape as a hitbox, not only to allow seating, but also for more accurate "sparks" sources when small weapons-fire hits (or other source of particles, like system damage sparks, smoke, etc.). I hope the cuboid hitbox is just a placeholder.

As a temporary solution, a wedge would be a good band-aid fix, but I want to see permanent solutions, because band-aid solutions tend to overstay their welcome. That's why I want to skip the whole wedge thing altogether and go with a geometrically equivalent hitbox.

You can still use a simpler shape as a bounding box, to help pre-optimize interactions, but for physics and interference, the actual shape should be used.
    Until we get custom hitboxes for blocks with LOD, can I recommend giving consoles the same hitbox as a wedge so we can sit at them?

Reaction score
    I rather like my work around, though it would be nice for them to make the suggested change.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

I want custom hitboxes too. like I said, this is just a temporary thing while we wait for that.