Give Beams and Cannons an innate "Blast-radius"

Reaction score
    As I suggested in a couple of other threads, I'll just go ahead and do so independently:

Give Beams and Cannons an innate (though lesser) Blast-radius. This would make Missiles (still Photon-Torpedoes in my mind....) less Über and be more in keeping with the effects that we see in TV and Movies (Which is where our Sci-Fi inspiration generally comes from.)

(This could also be combined with giving missiles more than just 1 HP and reducing the # of multiples from such things as "Swarmers" (?))

~EE

Reaction score
    Yes, adding effects to the primary weapon will give the effect... I think you know that already. ;)

What I'm suggesting is that Beams/Cannon pulses have a (minor) blast radius already incorporated into their damage output. (Thus adding "Explosive Effect" would merely increase that output a bit.)

Consider when you're watching a Star-Wars movie -- are there ANY missiles in Star-Wars? No. Explosions are achieved be Pulse-Laser fire. In Star-Trek, Beam-"Lasers" are more the style and "missile" are actually (photon-) torpedoes (which are slower, and can't be shot-down.)

So I guess I'm suggesting that the weapons in Star-Made be more emulative of established Sci-Fi convention (?). And thereby a bit less convoluted. And also seeking a way to make the Missiles in this game less OP'd.

(And hey, while I'm at it, how about Romulan Plasma-Torpedoes !!!?)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Consider when you're watching a Star-Wars movie -- are there ANY missiles in Star-Wars? No.
    Concussion missles are pretty common in the Star Wars universe and are used in the movies as well.

Anyway, I agree with you 100% about a basic AoE for lasers and cannons. I always find it odd seeing just tiny holes with no damage to the surrounding blocks using those weapons. That actually makes me use explosion tertiary for almost all of my lasers and cannons actually.

Reaction score
    Speaking of Star Trek, starmade needs teleporters :p ... Just saying

"Beam me to the planet!"

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would love to see this in the game, alongside increasing projectile size/beam thickness depending on damage.

Reaction score
    Agreed, it seems a bit retarded to me that massive arrays of cannons 20 x 20 and 100 long launch a tiny little projectile from the top left corner of this huge cannon while making the same default "pop" sound.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Agree 100%

I would add that the beam and pulse slaves add some innate effects. such as Beam slaves get a punch-through/piercing effect to go along with the range while Damage Pulse slaves gets a natural Explosive effect to make up for the long reload times.

of course adding the effect computers will increase but not necessarily stack on the innate powers of the beam and damage pulse slaves just to keep things fair.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i think explosive effect should scale (not infinitely of course, lol machine gun missiles would be op, but with a hard cap radius larger than the current)

Reaction score
    I agree with the basis of this suggestion and would like to follow up on it.

One of the things that is distorting the effectiveness of large weapons is that they are massive, but also scalpel precise. A planet sized laser has the same pinpoint damage as a laser-needle, which means that all weapons from battleships to deathstars have no difficulty using their ginormous weapons against tiny ships, which means one shot kills and full effectiveness.

A game mechanic where larger weapons innately have their damage spread over an area to model the 'bigger beam' or whatever magic brings the energy to the target would certainly help control the crazy scaling issues with damage. Amortizing damage makes sense.