Give Astrotech beams piercing.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I support this. Repair docks (and, indeed, any sort of repair vessel) would be much simpler (or useful at all) if only one row of beams firing in one direction was able to pass over a ship and repair every block.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you had started with a post like that I would have not thought you were just being a sarcastic arse.

I am not suggesting one block and beam pierce the entire ship, it would take more modules aka a higher number to repair deeper into a ship like damage beams currently operate.

Right now they don't do anything to repair armor or structure hp, so the only way a ship would be invulnerable with this suggestion as it is, is if the enemy ship can't kill a block before its repaired, and really such a ship would never have won that fight to begin with.

The whole idea of eating a damaged ship away and being able to remake it with no issues is a bit cheap, this would hopefully be an option to reduce repair costs by taking more work.

Another point to make about astrotechs is that they can be used on rail systems and out in the field far from a station, both options make them great for doing repairs in places and way people may want to repair.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you had started with a post like that I would have not thought you were just being a sarcastic arse.

I am not suggesting one block and beam pierce the entire ship, it would take more modules aka a higher number to repair deeper into a ship like damage beams currently operate.

Right now they don't do anything to repair armor or structure hp, so the only way a ship would be invulnerable with this suggestion as it is, is if the enemy ship can't kill a block before its repaired, and really such a ship would never have won that fight to begin with.

The whole idea of eating a damaged ship away and being able to remake it with no issues is a bit cheap, this would hopefully be an option to reduce repair costs by taking more work.

Another point to make about astrotechs is that they can be used on rail systems and out in the field far from a station, both options make them great for doing repairs in places and way people may want to repair.

My sincere apology I did not intend the first post to be sarcastic rather to bring up the topic of the shipyards and how this would be balanced around them

I largely agree that field repairs should be a thing and I think your suggestion could be a simple addition until a better method is found.

However I do not think such a system should be permanent as the game needs more complex mechanics in order to keep high tier players interested.

Perhaps something like drones to repair your ship I don't know.

Reactions: kiddan

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hmm making it so they go through blocks to fix blocks under other blocks would be nice. Like someone said just keep the repair style the way it is and let them pierce things based on group size or based on longest axis size. :) Longest axis tells you how far it'll pierce, total group size does what it does normally.

As for making it so Repair Beams fix ship/station wide structure and/or armor lets save that for weapon combinations like adding effects to it to change it. Like say adding a piercing effect lets it fix structure HP remaining, and using a Punch-through Effect lets it do this for armor HP? :)

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    very interesting idea. could make field medic ships a thing. also the fact that it can only pair blocks that are damaged should balance it out with shipyards since they can repair destroyed blocks

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    very interesting idea. could make field medic ships a thing. also the fact that it can only pair blocks that are damaged should balance it out with shipyards since they can repair destroyed blocks
    I still don't get the correlation between medic and repair.

As for the astro beam they really have been made obsolete by the ship yards, even simply giving them the ability to repair multiple blocks and penetrate hulls will not make them even remotely close to what shipyards are capable of. So they either need to just be removed or they need to be expanded into a mobile shipyard system. Personally I really think astro beams should be required for building/spawning anything that's too large for a shipyard as well as stations themselves so your shipyards would actually have to be built by hand or by a construction ship and blueprint.

Of course this will probably be considered a "capital ship system" and there would have to be trade offs as to not make shipyards obsolete.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I still don't get the correlation between medic and repair.

As for the astro beam they really have been made obsolete by the ship yards, even simply giving them the ability to repair multiple blocks and penetrate hulls will not make them even remotely close to what shipyards are capable of. So they either need to just be removed or they need to be expanded into a mobile shipyard system. Personally I really think astro beams should be required for building/spawning anything that's too large for a shipyard as well as stations themselves so your shipyards would actually have to be built by hand or by a construction ship and blueprint.

Of course this will probably be considered a "capital ship system" and there would have to be trade offs as to not make shipyards obsolete.
    A rather interesting idea and i do dig constructor ships but from the way the game is designed now it seems like an unnecessary extra step. when you consider what you would need just to spawn a ship it would include:
    1. The blueprint
    2. The necessary blocks
    3. Room to spawn
    4. Now, another ship sporting Astrotech beams just to "Space Engineer" it into existence
    If i want to spawn something in I don't want to have to go find another ship to help me do it. Just gathering the resources should be arduous enough, especially if its bigger then a shipyard.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    A rather interesting idea and i do dig constructor ships but from the way the game is designed now it seems like an unnecessary extra step. when you consider what you would need just to spawn a ship it would include:
    1. The blueprint
    2. The necessary blocks
    3. Room to spawn
    4. Now, another ship sporting Astrotech beams just to "Space Engineer" it into existence
    If i want to spawn something in I don't want to have to go find another ship to help me do it. Just gathering the resources should be arduous enough, especially if its bigger then a shipyard.
    I've always hated the idea of ships and stations just POOFing from a tiny little blueprint item so I am all for requiring construction ships in order to spawn in stations and ships too large for shipyards.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I've always hated the idea of ships and stations just POOFing from a tiny little blueprint item so I am all for requiring construction ships in order to spawn in stations and ships too large for shipyards.
    again, I'm not oppose to constructor ships I'm just saying that such a change would add an unnecessary level of complexity to a relatively straight forward system.

Perhaps if say instead of poofing into existence ships/stations would take time to spawn and astrotech beams sped up the process. kind of like the way shipyards construct ships piece by piece blueprints spawn time will depend on the mass. on its own the blueprint will construct itself but if you shoot it with astrotech beams then the process speeds up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Astros need to be repurposed or removed. They serve no real function now with shipyards. I like the idea in the above post... Astro's should have an effect on build speed for shipyards. Simply link a shipyards computer to models to increase speed. They could ditch the astro computer all together.

Reaction score
    Astros need to be repurposed or removed. They serve no real function now with shipyards. I like the idea in the above post... Astro's should have an effect on build speed for shipyards. Simply link a shipyards computer to models to increase speed. They could ditch the astro computer all together.
    How am I supposed to repair my Station?

Without Astrotech Beams I can't easily repair my damaged station.

Also, If Astrotech Beams had both Penetration and the ability to replace missing blocks (from a specified blueprint) then we would be fully able to repair Stations which have been damaged in a battle.

Shipyards will never be able to repair Stations.

If you are worried about balance, then make it so that the astrotech beams only work on ships/stations which are not under fire (give a 1 minute timer reset with each hit). With this nerf, it would be impossible to use them during a battle.

Now we have a Useful system which can easily make everyone happy.

Any Objections?