Getting ready to build my first military vessel, few Qs

Reaction score
    Well after nearly a week long build on a nearly 3K mass mining ship I want to turn my focus towards something a bit smaller and with pirate hunting in mind. So I am setting out with a 1.5K mass maximum.

I wanted this ship to be centered around 2 or 4 powerful cannons. Is the checker board, or at least minimum block sides touching the best pattern for cannons as far as efficiency and power useage go? Also I have seen lots of mention of "shot gun" pattern, whats this?

As a player only 1 week into the game I think it would be incredible if one of the veterans would make as a sticky with as the known weapon patterns, how to calculate energy useage, weight ratios..... really all the helpful tips that a lot of people already know (except the new ones).

Reaction score
    \"Shotgun\" is a wall of sepparated antimatter cannons...so when you shoot it it looks like a shotgun.

PS. like this (X= cannon, 0= nothing):

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X

0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X

0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X

0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

Reaction score
    What I have been calling checker board, the community is calling shot gun.... thank you. One question down :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    With the newest update, I would avoid really big shotgun patterns unless you have a ton of power regen.

Reaction score
    I was thinking of snaking the AMCs thoughout the ship and having the shots fired from single points at the from of the ship, is that a more efficient way of using your power?

Reaction score
    if you\'re not thinking about dps or damage then as far as i know your idea is the most efficient - generally, more gun outputs(groups): more dps/power per block, less gun outputs: more distance, reload, speed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That gives more range but less DPS i think :) I tend to have 2 big AMC\'s and then spam 3x3x20 dumb/heat seeking missile arrays throughout the ship for blowing stuff up once the shields are down :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    To hunt pirates, then it doesn\'t really matter, but with the new update I would suggest you stick with large groups as the scat cannons or \"shotgun\" AMC arrays are going to be nerfed and could also cause lag. Not to mention the fact you would have a much harder time landing your shots due to lower projectile speeds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    From the changelog, you\'d think they\'d been nerfed, but if my math is correct, schema\'s intent diverges from the actual effect of his changes. It appears that up to a desired total DPS of 50k for all the guns on a CPU, 1-AMC checkerboards still use the least power and the least number of AMC blocks of any configuration (not including turrets), and require less AMC blocks now than they did before to do a certain amount of DPS - but require much more power (and the more DPS you want to do, the greater the increase in power cost becomes). Other larger block configurations begin to get relatively better around 50k DPS and on up, by which I mean that 1-AMCs start to cost more energy than them finally, but there\'s still the issue of, for instance, needing only 934 1-AMCs to do 100k DPS versus needing 11,960 AMCs if you deploy them in one of the least-energy-wasting arrangements possible without sacrificing DPS (and without using turrets), e.g. twenty-three 520-AMC guns. (And at that point they are using ~2.98 million e/sec for that configuration, or ~3.73 me/sec for the 1-AMCs, to fire constantly).

Here\'s the part where 1-AMCs come roaring back when you\'re starting to think \"Well, if I can save millions on energy costs maybe it\'s worth placing 10,000 more blocks...\"

Turrets. You may be able to dramatically reduce the power costs by making a turret with 41 1-AMCs in it, and then putting 23 of those onto a ship, for example, pointing them in one direction and arranging them so they hopefully won\'t hit each other: They would only use 202 ke/sec total to fire all of them, if I\'m not mistaken, which gives you an idea of the kind of energy savings available, and the more you decrease the number of guns per turret (and raise the number of turrets), the lower the energy cost to fire all the turrets simultaneously will get, down to a certain minimum anyways: numTurrets * 46.57 e/sec, I think, if they all have 1 AMC each. 934 turrets is a bit much, even if it could reduce the power usage to ~43.5 ke/s (which is still going to be around 11% higher than what it cost to do that much DPS in the previous major version, no matter what).

Reaction score
    It\'s important that you first check two things;

-Is the value of \"AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY\" in your server.cfg file 10? This number affects how accurately can npcs and your bobby-AIs shoot. In my experience, if it\'s left at 10, they can expose and destroy ship cores at maximum weapon range way too easily. Best to set it to 9 or 8.

-Does the pirates have access to better ships, or only the basic Isanth model? They always come in groups, so you must make sure your ship is more powerful than their combined forces.

Beating a flock of Isanths isn\'t particularly difficult, but fighting a group of strong pirates with ships in similar mass to yours is more like pvp than hunting, with a very real chance of you losing, especially if the AI accuracy is high. And you\'ll need to do a lot of repairs even after victorious battles.

So, the basic rules;

-Your ship should always be far better than theirs.

-Place some containers on the ship. Pirates drop a lot of different loot that\'ll quickly fill up your inventory.

-Don\'t use missiles. They\'re really bad at catching small targets. By the time they do, you could have killed it with a same size amc.

-\"Shotgun\" style cannons have very low range unless they\'re built of rather long lines. Might be too heavy for the ship size you wanted.

After that, you should decide your combat style, and build your ship according to that. I\'ll list a few examples.

1. - Sniping may be a cheap, if somewhat risky method. You\'ll need powerful, long-range, rapid fire guns to kill the pirates as soon as their navigation markers appear and never let them close enough to shoot at you. Your cannon must be strong enough to break blocks in one hit. Must have far greater range than the enemy. Must reload quickly, to make sure enough bullets hit the target (you\'ll miss a lot at long range.) Something about 1500 range without redistributing any points, and it\'ll be quite lethal.

If AI accuracy is high, you might want to consider to build your main gun as a turret docked to a green \"ship\" dock, but the AI still set as \"turret\", and to fire at your selected target. It\'ll aim far better than a player can. Using more than one will greatly improve your killing power, but also increase the cost and size of your ship.

2. - Dogfighting needs more expensive ships. They must be compact, to avoid turn-speed penalties (shouldn\'t be longer than 80 blocks in any direction, or the pirates will dance around you and you\'ll never target them), but must also be bulky, so you can fit them with enough shields, power gen., thrusters and cannons. 2:1 thrust-to-mass ratio is vital to outmanouver the enemy. You should cover everything with hardened hull. Don\'t leave anything exposed. Armored thrusters, armored gunbarrels. Hide the core and weapon computers in the center of your ship. Get 100K shields; No matter how well you fly, if there\'s more than one pirate trying to shoot you they will succeed. You may want to add one or two medium sized turrets too. ( no less than 20k shields each, or they\'ll break all the time. Must have enough power regen to let you shoot and fly at once for a long time.

3.- A platform for automated weapons is a very expensive, unstoppable turtle of death. Build it as large as you can, and don\'t care about turning speed. It\'s not a problem if the ship is a little slow either. You don\'t even need guns in the ship\'s main body, but build as many turrets as you can; The pirates will shoot at all of them, so the more turrets you have, the less damage will a single one have to suffer. A few large ones that will do most of the work and break blocks in one hit, several medium ones to help keep your target\'s shields depleted, and if there\'s room, some small defense turrets to make sure you don\'t have any blind spots.

The ship itself needs double thick hardened hull where possible. Hide the core and the docking enhancers as deep as you can - If even one enhancer breaks, it\'s turret will fall off. Have as much shields as possible, both on the ship and the turrets. Add a lot of power regen to the ship, but only one block to the turrets; They\'ll take the power they need from the ship, and there\'ll be more room on them for cannons and shields. (Their shields won\'t work if there isn\'t at least one power generator).

Place your turrets evenly; Some on the top, and some on the bottom of your ship, so they can see all around you. Make sure they don\'t obstruct each other\'s line of sight. For example, if you place a turret behind another one, it should sit on a raised platform, so it can shoot above the first.

You can even combine these designs, or come up with one of your own. However that 1500 mass you aim for will somewhat limit your possibilities.

Reaction score
    Dang. Lots of helpful tips here. For my pirate hunter I will go for a mass of rapid firing guns. But the turret turtle got me thinking and I will try to make one in the future using your tips. I was also unaware of the single power generator on the turret, I was unaware of the need for it, thanks for pointing that out!