Get Rid of Ship Cores

Reaction score
    Uhm, no. An entity is an entity, and isn't defined by a core. You can/could create an entity via file editing or whatever that is just a docker, and it would still work... or replace the ship core with whatever block via file editing and the ship would become un-enterable, but (bugs aside) nothing would really change.

Just because you can go into folders and edit files doesn't mean it is part of the normal game mechanics. Those are hacks and workarounds. The core is the normal way entities are spawned in and moved around during game play. If you need to leave the game and start tweaking a file with other software before an entity doesn't have a core then it's pretty much dependent on the core. . . but you get bonus points for nitpicking.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just because you can go into folders and edit files doesn't mean it is part of the normal game mechanics. Those are hacks and workarounds. The core is the normal way entities are spawned in and moved around during game play. If you need to leave the game and start tweaking a file with other software before an entity doesn't have a core then it's pretty much dependent on the core. . . but you get bonus points for nitpicking.
    Anything that malfunctions when you edit the core out of an entity is something that will have to change in order to remove cores from the game. I wonder what functions remain tied to the core now.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    You're right it is the way ship entities are spawned and controlled. However they do not define the entity, and nor are they required for the entity to function and exist.

Your statement was this:

The rail mechanics rely heavily on cores with dockers to define things as moveable. It is awkward, I agree, and it gets worse the more parts you have in a rail build. . . but it may not be so easy to change.
    and it is incorrect, the core does not define an entity. If cores were removed, another way to control and spawn entities would naturally be introduced, and they are they only mechanics that require the core currently.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Cals point cam be reinforced by force docking a station to a ship, you can move the station entity around on rails, with no core block.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cals point cam be reinforced by force docking a station to a ship, you can move the station entity around on rails, with no core block.
    Wow. That's how little the core matters? Why are they still immovable then?

Reaction score
    You're right it is the way ship entities are spawned and controlled. However they do not define the entity, and nor are they required for the entity to function and exist.

Your statement was this:

and it is incorrect, the core does not define an entity. If cores were removed, another way to control and spawn entities would naturally be introduced, and they are they only mechanics that require the core currently.
    I didn't mean for it to be interpreted that way. If cores were removed and we spawned and attached entities with bananas I would have said our way of defining things as moveable relied heavily on bananas. If we can spawn a new entity and attach it to another entity without a core showing up and being used then I stand corrected. Of course I agree it can be done in other ways if they want to make it that way.

Last edited: