Get Logic Signals out of Storage

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I feel dumb. I've read documentation, asked in chat, watched videos, and tried about a dozen configurations. I've heard it can be done in the current version (0.19538) but I can't do it myself on my test station.

How do you get logic signals out of a storage module? I've tried slaving signals and activators to storage. I've tried touching them face-to-face. I've tried both at the same time! All of which I tried only using storage pull. I've tried it with And-Signals, Or-Signals, Not-Signals, Delays, Flip flops, activation modules, buttons, and step-on triggers. Basically, anything it would take as a slave.

I think either:
    1. It's face-dependent, which is going to be really challenging since all the sides have the same texture
    2. It doesn't work if you have the storage window open
    3. It's sensitive to how many or what kind of things you have connected to it and will refuse to work if it doesn't like it
    4. Cosmic rays
    I really

Reaction score
    My observations in 0.19538 were:

• You need to slave an or gate or an activation module to the storage you're trying to query (c on storage, v on logic), they don't need to be in physical contact.
    • Detecting changes requires the storage module to have storage pull activated.
    • As far as I can tell, state change depends on the storage being (un-)able to complete the pull, or another storage pulling, and registers on the pull cycle after the storage becomes (not) full or empty. That is, if you manually empty a storage, with no other storage pulling out of it, it may not register that it's now empty. Likewise if the storage doesn't (try to) pull from somewhere, and you put items in manually, it won't detect the change.
    • From that follows that if the storage is being filled by (i.e. not pulling from) another module, say a salvage computer (I don't think there's any other block that can do this), that does not register, and as such you won't detect when your salvage storage is overflowing.

storage.levels.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some other observations (Made with the new version, but they didn't mention any changes to storage logic)
    • Changes made through rail docking don't seem to count either.
    • I can get it to turn on an activation module, but it doesn't seem to turn off. OR-Signals work just fine though!

Reaction score
    You are the bomb.

As per the original poster then I find this.
    Made a mock up with everything working.

Only need to teast salvagers now.
    I may do salvager into a storage then straight out into a larger storage with the indicator on that.
    so after you see the lights you have time while it fills the prestorage area

Reaction score
    Is there a clearer diagram of how that's all connected? I'm attempting to do something very simple but failing horribly; and in this case strangely. I have a storage that pulls from a docking connector (a ship with a full hold comes in, docks, and the storage pulls from the ship to the storage) and am trying to make a light turn on if there is something in the hold, and turn off the light if the hold is empty. (The hold feeds into a refinery.)
    Right now, the activation module attached to the storage (storage is empty, and the hold to pull from is empty as well; so it has nothing in it and cannot pull anything into the storage) is just... oscillating. Some pulls it shows active. Some pulls it deactivates. Driving me a little bit batty trying to figure out how to make a simple light turn on for "Something in here" and off for "nothing in here".

Reaction score
    First placing activation modules next to storage is not needed now, just c-> v stuff. Get the full/empty working on the hold(on the ship) from your description adding a docker later shouldn't change it.

Reaction score
    The ship hull I'm less concerned about (although I wouldn't mind getting a warning that my massive salvage array isn't doing me any good when it's full) than the storage systems on my station. The empty indicator for the ore hold on the station lets me know that I can turn off my refinery and save on the power draw that an 8k efficiency refinery has on my smallish station. (Although, if a light works, I imagine there may be a way to automatically turn off/on the refinery as well. Hmm.)

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The ship hull I'm less concerned about (although I wouldn't mind getting a warning that my massive salvage array isn't doing me any good when it's full) than the storage systems on my station. The empty indicator for the ore hold on the station lets me know that I can turn off my refinery and save on the power draw that an 8k efficiency refinery has on my smallish station. (Although, if a light works, I imagine there may be a way to automatically turn off/on the refinery as well. Hmm.)
    That's actually a very clever use of this mechanic. Good on you for finding that. If you have an activator as the parent of a factory, switching it on/off turns the factory on/off IIRC.